Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,393

Skin test and allergy shots. Pip's results were a long, long list of various types of molds which was a bit surprising because his season is usually June/early summer when there are a lot of pollens/trees/grasses in the air. He's been on allergy shots for about a year and a half, this is his second summer, and so far he's having the easiest summer of his life wrt his allergies (knock wood).

Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Bailey08's Avatar
Bailey08 Bailey08 is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,467

Bailey has suspected IBD, and one of the things we did initially (with his internal medicine specialist) was a blood test for food allergens. She warned me that it wasn't conclusive; but, since he was so young (one at the time), she thought it was worth doing. Also, from what I've read, while blood tests aren't conclusive, the positive results tend to be over-inclusive, rather than under-inclusive.

In any event, in addition to random things, it did show a poultry (chicken and turkey) allergy, which has been helpful.

He has environmental allergies, too, but I've been able to manage it, thankfully. Helps that I also have allergies so we already have in place a lot of the things you would usually do.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 PM
noodlerubyallie's Avatar
noodlerubyallie noodlerubyallie is offline
Sprayin' the spiders
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,181

We've decided to go ahead and try the series of shots to see what kind of results we get. I'm picking up some pinnacle this weekend to switch her food.

I just want my dig's hair to grow back in!

Ruby - CD RA CGC
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM
LindaJD's Avatar
LindaJD LindaJD is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 478

I have spent at least 5 thousand dollars on one of my dogs trying to get her allergies under control. We have tried so many things and have had so many tests and I am so frustrated. The shots did nothing for her, the only thing that helps is a daily dose of prednisone and a daily dose of cefpodoxime and special shampoo to help with the yeast. I really hate having her on prednisone daily but It's the only time she gets relief. Luckily my other dog doesn't have these problems.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,074

Sally is allergic to life too. She is not allergic to dogs, cats, or humans but she is allergic to horses. She's also allergic to tons of grasses, trees, fleas, dust, rabbit, lamb, fish, duck, venison, carrots, and oatmeal. Do you have any idea how many dog foods have carrots in them?!

We have been simply avoiding what things we can, bathing her often, and being flea prevention nazis. The flea allergies are really the worst though. One flea can make her whole belly break out. She also gets benedyl daily during allergy season, fish oil, and an herbal allergy supplement.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Tankstar's Avatar
Tankstar Tankstar is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 2,301

I never got tests done. But Blaze doesnt seem to be allergic to much of anything.

Chicken I figured out bothers him b switching to a food with no chicken.

I know he is allergic to biting/stinging insects as he ballons up like a bull terrier when bit.

About 3 weeks ago he was stung by a bee. he got so swallon on his leg, it was 3 times the normal size he couldnt walk, and would whimper in pain. He had to be rushed to the vet, where she says she has never in her 35+ years seen such a horrible reaction to a bee sting. Had to go on antibiotics. So now i keep benedryl handy for him, since we are to outdoorsy to risk that again lol
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site