Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Durp Dog

Talking So proud of my girl!

So I've had a hard time convincing Lacey that the clippers are not going to eat her soul. In fact, she is still convinced that they WILL.

My method is almost identical to kikopups nail clipping video. Lacey will give me her paw (very enthusiastically!), I can hold her paw and apply pressure, she will paw at the clippers when they are in my hand, I can tap her nails with the clippers with no problem. But the SECOND I clip a nail she shuts down into a pathetic, shivering, mess.

Me: *has clippers in open hand* "Lacey, paw!"
Lacey: *flings her paw in my hand so fast that the clippers go flying*
Me: "YES! GOOD GIRL!!!" *gives her treats/petting and release her so we can party.
Lacey: *does zoomies and races back to me*
(repeat x10)

Then we do the same with me applying pressure to her nails, one at a time.

On to the nail clipping:
Me: "ok Lace, Paw!"
Lacey: *throws paw at me*
Me: "Good girl!" *holds paw and does one fast snip*
And before I can even give her a treat she is shaking from head to toe, and very shut down.
So I give her a treat, release her and we party/zoomie. Repeat.

That is as far as we can get. She has been like this ever since I got her. I have tried with her standing, sitting, laying down, and on her back.

So today I ran across a nail file (emory, shaped like a popsicle stick) and thought "hmmmm, I wonder if we could get anywhere with this?" She was laying on the bed so I did a few "give me paw/pressure" exercises then filed one nail (she rolled to her back at this point). She didn't tense up or anything so I kept going..... 3 nails..... 9 nails...... *her eyes are rolling in her head at this point... sooo tired* 11 nails.... ect. And when I finished I look at her, and she is SLEEPING! Oh my freaking GOSH!!!! I can't believe she fell fast asleep! This it's the dog that is usually a quivering mess at this point!

So I am going to keep using the emory board instead of the clippers, possibly permanently. It will take longer but it's SO much better than the mess she goes through with the clippers!

I just had to brag, to date this has been our biggest hurdle. And now that it's in the past, no more shut down scared dog!!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Love my pets

If it works, go with it. I have so much trouble with one of mine so I know what it's like to try to get a dog to let you trim their nails.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

That's great!! I might have to try that method with Tipper....she's not a fan of the clippers and I'm really not into spending massive amounts of time desensitizing her to them when she hates them so much. I love that Lacey just fell asleep though...lol. Silly girl.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Durp Dog

I know, I was like "really!?" That is all I needed to do? I hated clipping her nails, I felt awful that she would turn into a shivering mass on the floor. Nothing scares her like nail clipping, thunder is her 2nd biggest (and only other real) fear but she is 60% less freaked out by storms than she is having nails clipped.

The thunder thing is easy, I just get out the clicker and work on training or give her a chew and she forgets about it for the most part. I plan on getting a thunder cd and start out with it on low while we work on training, then gradually increase the volume. This would be done over many training sessions.