Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Sounds alot like what goes on here too! Farley is extremely vocal when he is playing with alot of grumbly growling, deep barking & teeth showing. In fact he tends to put off other dogs when they first meet him until they realize it is all just play. Farley also plays using his front feet, alot like a boxer. As well as Farley & Chloe get along, just as with kids, they will have an occasional spat - usually Chloe being the one getting mad (and can she ever put Farley in his place! )but all I have to do is say ENOUGH and it's over.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Why don't you get someone who really is familiar with dogs to come observe them. They're pups aren't they? Pups play rough.....they pretend fight. Are you sure that's not what they're doing? They growl, show teeth, pounce, stalk and all the rest of the things that they do when they hunt. They need to practice these skills and manuvers for adulthood if they were wild dogs. But as pups, it's play. If it's a real fight, I think you would have seen some injuries by now and not just a little knick either.
That sounds like a good idea but we don't know anyone who is familar with dogs . My parent's hate them and wouldn't know a dog fight from a lawn mower and my husband's parents had dogs but didn't really pay attention (housed outside a lot of the days). I think they are just playing though I know I was paranoid the way that Hannah and Maverick would play so rough with each other as well.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Big Dog

Hi!

I agree with others that this is play. Dogs play very rough.. When I went to pick up my malinois he came out with wide collar like on grayhounds.. I imidiatly asked Teus if he doesent have better collar.

The collar I am talking about:

He replyed that I will understand when I will see him and malinois female play. They were playing but were very rough with eachother and Blueberry even got some wounds during it not that he noticed. So the collar was there to protect his neck from wounds... some play..

On other hand my tervueren Raider is very gentle dog and he plays very gently.

So for now I wouldn´t worry about it. One way you can check out is to take both of them to some dog training club and ask someone who is experienced there to check them out.. i am sure they will gladly play there.

Bye, Katja

Last edited by Katja; 10-30-2005 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja
Hi!

I agree with others that this is play. Dogs play very rough.. When I went to pick up my malinois he came out with wide collar like on grayhounds.. I imidiatly asked Teus if he doesent have better collar.

The collar I am talking about:

He replyed that I will understand when I will see him and malinois female play. They were playing but were very rough with eachother and Blueberry even got some wounds during it not that he noticed. So the collar was there to protect his neck from wounds... some play..

On other hand my tervueren Raider is very gentle dog and he plays very gently.

So for now I wouldn´t worry about it. One way you can check out is to take both of them to some dog training club and ask someone who is experienced there to check them out.. i am sure they will gladly play there.

Bye, Katja
Thank you! I will try and take them to a dog training club to let someone else have a look at them playing. Your dog is beautiful, if you don't mind me saying.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Imagination ROCKS.

Julie, I would teach Lily "Knock it off" too. Because with a baby on the way, you don't want to take any chances. Whenever Harley and Dakota get too rough, I yell "HEY"! They know that I mean No.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
Julie, I would teach Lily "Knock it off" too. Because with a baby on the way, you don't want to take any chances. Whenever Harley and Dakota get too rough, I yell "HEY"! They know that I mean No.
Oh she knows "knock it off!" She will immediately stop but then two seconds later is back to jumping and biting on Hannah. We tried time outs and they don't work she's just more riled up when coming out. I'm hoping with more obedience she will become more better behaved. Right now she is HORRIBLE. She is climbing on the tables, couches, over the baby gate. She is constantly getting the "no, and off" command. I thought she might think of those as her name but she knows her name fairly well.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Training the Trainer

When first introducing Chester to Ruby I didn't use a baby gate - I went and got a large piece of collapsible lattice fencing. That way they could still sniff through and lick each other, but it was too big for them to jump over, and because of the cross-hatching design they couldn't stick their heads through it, either. Worked like a charm - Chester was terrified of Ruby when they first met but now they're like best friends.

We use time-out on Ruby when she gets too much for him, and say `Too Rough!' before we stop whatever she's doing. She calms down really quickly in time-out - but usually only after the second time...lol. It's like she almost knows what's going to happen now, she just trots into the bathroom (you have to lead her but she doesn't resist) and then sits there patiently till she gets let out - almost like, `Ah here we go again'. She's bizarre but we love her!

How old is Lily?? She does sound a little unruly but it could just be extra-puppiness! Ruby continually gets `no' and `off' as well - she certainly knows the commands but she just likes to push our buttons. The only way she responds is with LOTS of positive reinforcement when she does the right thing, treats, treats, treats - and it finally is working at last!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 10-31-2005, 02:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Oh she knows "knock it off!" She will immediately stop but then two seconds later is back to jumping and biting on Hannah.
When she immediately stops, what do you do then? (in those two seconds before she starts in again)
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 AM
Training the Trainer

And when you put her in time-out - how long is it for? We only leave Ruby in there for a maximum of two minutes, otherwise the moment passes and she just gets jumpy from being confined for too long...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
When she immediately stops, what do you do then? (in those two seconds before she starts in again)
The second she stops she gets praised. Usually I will just say "good Lily" and pet her but if I can get a treat out of my pocket in time she'll get a treat. The second I turn my back she's on Hannah again though. I don't know if maybe she's doing that to get the petting attention or what but even when my husband just yells at her and doesn't give her praise after she is still right back to jumping and mauling her two seconds later. I only leave her in a couple minutes if I put her in time out but the second the gate opens she runs to Hannah and leaps on her.