Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM
We are Home.

Im thinking a petco brand puppia style for when we are out and playing and a decent collar for potty trips since she cant wear a harness 24/7 in the house and potty trips will be closely monitored.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

I personally do not feel comfortable leaving any dog on anything chewable unsupervised. So hell no I would not recommend moutain rope.

I would recommend a sturdy cable set-up or a proper chain set-up.

Mine have cable tie-outs at my moms... the cables are a couple years old and already need replaced from being worn by the active sled dog mutt girls. I have a couple sturdy chains I had made for camping that I will probably replace the cables with. One cable I bought at D&B... its a good thing Scout is a good girl because its a cheap P.O.S. The other was given to my parent's by the people who acted as brokers and helped them pick out their BC, I have no idea where they got it, but its sturdier. Which is good because Lily is a nut on her tie-out, typical sled dog theatrics lol.

I'll be honest, I don't 100% trust the cable either. Both of them could chomp right through it if they really wanted to. They are a little more hardcore than the average pet dog though.

Make sure the dog is wearing a properly fitted, very sturdy collar as well. No break aways (plastic, nickle, brass, hybrid.... doesn't matter what kind of snap it is DON'T use a breakaway, especially if the dog will be unsupervised!), martingales, no buckle slides, etc. I have used Lily's "For Ella" on her tie-out and it is more than adequate, however its not recommended for that use!
The only collars I truly trust for tie-out are Shane's at Stillwater: Stillwater Kennel Supply --
I use the 1.5" 4ply show collars. I put an extra O-ring on Lily's purple and yellow to help slow the wear on the collar since the colored nylon is softer than the black. In fact they are the only collars I trust 100% not to fail on Scout period.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Exactly! Never use a harness. They can back right out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Harnesses actually cause more damage than collars on tie outs from what I understand. Dogs are more inclined to pull and chest slam in a harness than a collar.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 AM
We are Home.

Shes not a chewer and she will always be supervised shes too small to be in that area unsupervised (bears, gators and what not). Stillwater is overkill for her shes 30 lbs and not too strong. I'm looking at a ellas collar. She cant wear nylon long at all much less if shes outside sweating. I've tied out most of my life but never a dog this small I'm used to game bred APBT tied out and she does NOT need that set up at ALL. Shes not one to chest slam either and the harness im looking at is padded and she couldnt back out before i caught it.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

There are lots of 30lb dogs I wouldn't trust on a mtn rope.

My parent's BC is not large at all, doesn't pull hard (but paces), only chews his bones, he's on a 1" biothane D end collar with an extra O-ring to clip his chain to. Its a lot lighter weight than what I use for my dogs because they are well sled dogs and they act like it.

I have tied Lily out on her long line. Its a huge PITA because it catches on everything and its fraying etc.

I would still not use a harness, or something chewable. But that is just me. Plus you wouldn't have to wash it periodically.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM
We are Home.

The only time she was on the coated wire she hurt her leg hence the not wanting to do it (walked over it and it caught the inside of her leg and she was lame for about 2 weeks) I HATE the coated wire ones which is why my large dog when he needed one got a overhead trolly someone ALWAYS got hurt with just the tie out either us, the kids or the dog.

She would be getting a 1 inch leather collar from Ellas and a Biothane for now.

This is the harness that I like for playtime on it: PETCO Pink Reflective Sport Harness at PETCO

Shes a VERY calm dog doesnt run, chew or wreck havoc more then stealing food from the kids if she were a terrier or something it would be different but shes very calm and laidback.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
such sights to show you

If she is never unsupervised, I don't think it matters that much. Harnesses and collars have advantages and disadvantages, as do the various types of material.

I put the dogs on a tie-out when I am camping with them. It's different than being at home, of course, but OTOH I have used them frequently with each of my dogs and feel very comfortable with them for the most part. I am always with them at the campsite except for very brief moments like changing clothes in the tent or whatnot.

It depends a bit on which dog, but I usually use the cable style because I find it is stiff enough that it doesn't tangle/knot up as easily as other materials. Plus, I need something relatively hard to chew through because if they do, although I take spares I don't have the option of popping out to the store for a replacement whenever I like. I usually just attach to the collar. They actually rarely pull or slam against it, but keep in mind that while camping they are getting so much exercise and there is so much for them to see/watch that they are generally much more sedate than they would be at home.