Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-28-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default HEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPP what am I going to do with this dog

I have just moved into a new apartment about three weeks ago. I have a full time job and tried to give teddy the benefit of the doubt and let him roam free around my room during the day rather than put him in his crate. WELL this is not working. I have drenched everything in bitter apple and I give him things to do but he chews everything up. He has chewed up all my pillows and all my blankets so now I have nothing to sleep with. My only option as I see it right now is to put him in his crate for 9 hours a day. I cannot afford to buy new bedding every **** day. I am sick and tired of coming home and cleaning up everything he has wrecked. I don't know what else to do. I am at my wits end.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Last edited by sparks19; 10-28-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I wish I could help, my dogs do the same thing. I can't even go to the store without them getting into something or chewing something up. We are renting so right now it's sort of bad but not as bad as if we had bought this house (I think my husband would have killed them j/k). Do you have a kitchen or bathrooom that you can put him in during the day? That might help him not eat all of your stuff. Also is this the first time he has been alone by himself all day, is he usually used to company when you are at work? He might just not be used to being alone for so long. I know some dogs can act out by chewing or running away when big changes happen in their life.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Jerk.

Bluedawgs on his 3rd couch, my 4th memory pillow, one side of my mattress I have no idea how many bedsheets and blankets Ive been threw. A few places the carpet has been dug to the padding and sheetrock has been chewwed on.

I think I feel your pain.

Thankfully BD has grown out of the destruction phase.

Oh yeah, I never crate BD I just shut him in my room and hope for the best, I do have roommates and I hope they let him out in the day or at least befor ethey leave the house for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Walks into Mordor

I wasn't able to trust Zeus alone inside until he was about 14 months old. With large breed dogs, they take a while to mature out of the puppy stage. They don't really hit their adult temperaments until 2-3 years of age.

Also, are you sure it's not separation anxiety? That's a completely different thing from simple puppy destructiveness. Here are a few symptoms of separation anxiety:
- No matter how long or short a time you're gone, the problems occur.
-Destruction is focused on items that smell most like you: socks, bedding, furniture cushions, etc.
-Your dog is wild with excitement when you when you come home, and spends a very long time greeting you.
-Your dog becomes uneasy when you're getting ready to leave.

Seperation anxiety is akin to a person having a panic attack or a claustrophobic reaction. Your dog is literally terrified to have you gone. Here are a few ways to help your dog through seperation anxiety:

-Get your dog used to idea that you don't need to be there all the time. Don't call or encourge your dog to follow you around the house. Close the door and leave him in a room by himself on occassion.
-Don't make a big deal of leaving. Just grab your keys and go. Don't give enthusiastic greetings either. When you come home, give your dog a pat on the head and move on.
-Start short. Leave for maybe 5 minutes, then come back. Gradually lengthen the time.
-They also make medications and herbal remedies for seperation anxiety. If the above steps don't work, you might want to ask your vet about them.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Fila Love

Teddy is in a strange new place. He probably doesn't feel at home yet. Can you block him off in one room. What i did with mine, (Roxie had seperation anxiety when she was little) I used the phrase momma will be back. I started by walking out the door then returning, always used that phrase. Just start lengthining the times. It seems to have worked with Brutus also,one minute, two, three, five, seven, ten etc. Always repeat the same phrase when you are leaving so they know you will return. Make sure he has plenty of bones, etc, to keep him occupied. Also, a shirt, socks or something of yours in his bed might help. For 8 years I have used this term, Everytime I leave. It has worked.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Top Dog

As previously suggested by filarotten...my brother also had great success with blocking off one room.
My brother was having the same problem with his young dog...chewing, it's great fun What I suggested to him and it worked was getting a huge peice of plywood, high enough that the dog cannot jump over (he had to get one that was really high). Keep the pup in that room and with the plywood the dog will not feel as closed in. Leave the crate in this room with the door open (I use a bungie cord or take the crate door off completely, I don't like the thought of that swinging door and vunerable eyes). My brother leaves music on, or the TV with people talking, he also went out and bought some relaxation music...haha...waves, nature etc. He got some rescue remedy which he gives his young dog before leaving, and he gives her a raw bone to chew on. The bone he picks up that night and throws out...he never reusues the same bone...plus he disinfects the kitchen floor with vinegar and water with a touch of jabex just to get the bone bacteria up. His pup after a week now recognizes that when Jamie leaves it means she gets a bone, the bone will last her for the day. So, now the departure is, Chance sees jamie getting ready to leave, she runs to the fridge (Jamie and myself freeze all raw bones first before giving them to the puppy...even my dogs I freeze all bones first...just in case) and with a young dog that may be teething the cold bone soothes the gums. The puppy gets her bone, runs over to her bed and starts chewing happily away not even caring that Jamie is leaving.
Hope that works for you...and perhaps leave a few other toys around for your dog.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Keyozilla

I've read in a book that wagging your tail at the dog when you leave means something close to "Good bye" in dog language. What I do with Charlie is say the same phrase like filarotten ("I'll see you later, ok?") and then put my hand behind me and wag it like I have a tail. If he still startes whining, hold his mouth and say, "Good dog".

Hope that helps.

Meow.
Between the Rain Drops :: My graphics/personal website
Old 10-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Naturally Natural

if the dog is destructive when outside the crate, then he isnt ready to be left alone in the room. if he is safe, calm, and better yet, not destructive, in the crate, then it seems like the logical thing to put him back in. clearly he is not ready for staying out (you said you gave him the benefit of the doubt) - you moved too quickly and he simply cannot handle that responsibility.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyodie
I've read in a book that wagging your tail at the dog when you leave means something close to "Good bye" in dog language. What I do with Charlie is say the same phrase like filarotten ("I'll see you later, ok?") and then put my hand behind me and wag it like I have a tail. If he still startes whining, hold his mouth and say, "Good dog".

Hope that helps.
i was getting really worried untill the end of that post! lol
Old 10-29-2005, 03:42 PM
GSDGurl

Sparks he can come here while ya work.He can play with Sasha and Rosco if he is ok with dogs after his latest attack.