Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Cricket breed guessing time...

I know we will never know what breeds Cricket has in her, but I think it's fun to guess. No matter what she will always be a mystery. We're looking for a place to live and everywhere we look keeps asking what kind of dogs we have. I have no idea what to tell them with Cricket so I just say she's a general mega-mutt.

Now that she is growing up some I thought it would be fun to guess again. So guesses????

Here are my guesses... and I could be way off base.

I think she has some whippet in her... brindled coat aside, she has a pretty refined head (you notice it more in person than photos), tight lips (flew).. her head is generally pretty small although shape wise it's not very whippet like I don't think. She has a long lean body, really long legs and she moves a lot like I've seen in some sighthounds. There's something about her though that makes me feel like she might have some sort of sighthound breed in her and if I had to guess I'd say whippet.

Outside of that... I know a lot of people keep saying Malinois, but I wonder if she might have some dutch shepherd in her honestly. Maybe that's just popping into my head because of her brindle coat... but... I dont know.

She's definitely smaller than one. She's about 19.5 inches and she was about 25lbs when we moved to GA, but she looks like she's grown a little bit and I haven't weighed her in a bit.

A few pics of Cricket (I need to take some new ones btw)

And some dutchie pics I found

4 month old

Stan Obedient by alpstrekka, on Flickr

Hester by moniek de jager, on Flickr

Untitled by moniek de jager, on Flickr
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 PM

I just found this picture online of a whippet/GSD mix...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

With those ears, I think Traveler hooked up with someone in Mexico
Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Taxiderpy

Not sure what part of Mexico she came from exactly, but in Tucson we had a ton of dutch shepherd clones come through. None of them actually behaved at all like dutchies though, and given their rarity I think there was some landrace streetdog mix strain thingy that just produced dogs that looked like them. They acted like a all around general purpose type herding dog. I always figured they had some shepherd and ACD, along with a bit of bull blood or something for the brindle to come from. They honestly look a LOT like Cricket, only a little more compact like an ACD rather than a running hound.

She definitely looks sighthoundish. Don't know if that could have come from whippet, or if greyhound tracks are very common down there. Some racing greys are pretty compact, like 21-24 inches. Or she could have staghound. Our old foster Seamus was found roaming pretty close to the border and he was a staghound.

ETA: here's a Cricket clone for adoption in Tucson right now.

This one is labeled as a shiba mix. lol

Last edited by Romy; 07-19-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 AM
APBT crazy!

Dutch Shepherd/Malinois mix? She is a beauty whatever she is!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Taxiderpy

I really think the Cricket type dogs of the southwest/Mexico are just a brindle variation of the prick eared, red pariah mixed up "feral" types. A lot of the ones that came through our rescue were ferals pulled out of the Tohono O'odham reservation, and were littermates with dogs that looked like this one:

It makes a lot of sense when you consider brindle and black mask are dominant pattern genes, and you just overlay them on a red to get a dog marked like a dutchie.

ETA: Is she double or single coated? Just curious, since sight hounds are single coated and so are a lot of the crosses.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 AM

She's single coated. I actually googled Mexican street dogs early and that was one of the photos that popped up lol
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
With those ears, I think Traveler hooked up with someone in Mexico
Hey what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Top Dog

Even without seeing the Dutch Shepherd pics, I was thinking that's what she looks like. However, like someone else said, they're pretty rare. Depending how popular they are in the area she came from, I think you're guess of Whippet/Mal mix is pretty good. Heck, if you absolutely had to have a breed mix (for home rental, etc), I'd put down Whippet/Mal mix no matter how popular they are there.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I really think the Cricket type dogs of the southwest/Mexico are just a brindle variation of the prick eared, red pariah mixed up "feral" types.
I was thinking the same thing. If she's an unknown mix from Mexico, it would seem pretty unlikely that she has a purebred parent let alone one of a less common breed like a Whippet, Mal or Dutchie.