Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

German Pinscher was going to be my suggestion. I'm not positive how they are usually with other dogs, though. They're not in the terrier group, so I figured it was safe.

Or a dalmatian, although they can also have DA tendencies....and they're usually bigger than 30 lbs, but one on the small side could definitely fit the range.

I think beagles and basenjis are both too independent minded and don't have the "drive" that you mean by "drive".

I think I'd look for some kind of breed that ALMOST fit the requirements (like viszla, or boston terrier) and then search shelters for a mix that had the personality but was a bit smaller, less terrier-like, etc. Or decide what you could compromise on, for example, a viszla who was 35 lbs would be just about perfect, but they're rarely under 40 lbs....

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Fishies!

Whats wrong with a short double coat vs single coat?

Working line Springer Spaniel. You can probably find one under 30. A Cocker would usually fall under 30lbs, but your options on coat length get narrower. Female Springers can be very light, and also have little coat.

This one would be too big, but it gives you an idea on coat possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if it was single coated actually.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Whats wrong with a short double coat vs single coat?

Working line Springer Spaniel. You can probably find one under 30. A Cocker would usually fall under 30lbs, but your options on coat length get narrower. Female Springers can be very light, and also have little coat.

This one would be too big, but it gives you an idea on coat possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if it was single coated actually.
I thought the same about a Brittany but really, those Danish-Swedish Farmdogs seem to pretty much fit the bill.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by filarotten View Post
Why don't you just keep Katie, permanently?
Because she can't mingle with other dogs.

Husband said no to Beagles, Entles and DSFDs. Literally the ONLY breed I've shown him that he likes is the Portugese Podengo Medio, which only partially fits the requirement list... and mostly MY requirements. Heh.

Obviously we need to stay a 3-dog +1 foster household.... just the way I want it.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

Just want to say that I think you should get a fourth dog. You have taken care of way more than four dogs, I think you can handle it.

Though honestly, it is just that I have puppy fever and I would love more pictures from you since your really great camera wise.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You have taken care of way more than four dogs, I think you can handle it.
I think this is more of a case of not WANTING to handle it. There's definitely a difference between "handling" and "enjoying." I'm taking care of 8 dogs at the moment, but it will be very nice when it goes back to just my two
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I knew Shibas had a thicker coat than a single coat, but I figured it wasn't as bad as a Corgi or GSD coat I stand corrected!
Adam's friend has one, and OMG does he shed. I was literally pulling handfuls of fur off of him one time, lol. Amazing personality, though.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I think this is more of a case of not WANTING to handle it. There's definitely a difference between "handling" and "enjoying." I'm taking care of 8 dogs at the moment, but it will be very nice when it goes back to just my two
Exactly. We were up to seven once... 5 personals + 2 fosters. It was stressful. I didn't like it.

Five was rough... four was doable.... but I'm really, really liking three. If we were to go back up to four, it would have to be a really special fourth dog.

And for the record, we will never adopt a foster dog - that's why they're fosters - they aren't here permanently, they are just here until their forever homes discover them.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog;1846986
And for the record, we will [I
never[/I] adopt a foster dog -

You do realize that you just jinxed yourself, right?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Lord Cynical

Nope, LOL that was the agreement when we started fostering - absolutely no failed fosters.

But husband does like the look of German Pinschers, and I did manage to find a GP breeder whose dogs actually look nice, and they're fully health tested. SO we'll see.