Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Totally depends on the dog. Mollie was 6 when the puppies came home. She pretty much just ignores other dogs though, and we kept them separate a lot so that they couldn't bother her too much.

With Frodo I think it could go either way. Integrating a dog in with him is going to take a while, regardless of what dog it is, but honestly I think he will like having a buddy around once he gets used to them. Whether it is just mellowing with age or all the work we have been doing, he seems to be getting better around other dogs in general, and doesn't get defensive when they want to do things like sniff the same tree as he is sniffing. On our last hike with SpringerLover Buzz pretty much bowled him over and stepped on him at one point and he didn't have much to say about it.
He is going to be 6 in January though, and I'd like to add another dog sooner rather than later, though I am thinking it will be one around his same age, then a puppy down the road.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

It depends on the dog, Peewee was 7 when we brought Ivan into the home. It was a big different then 4 years earlier when we brought Chloe home. Pretty close to the age Ivan is now. Hopefully I will be adding to the house this late fall/early winterish. Peewee hated having another dog again. I don't know if it was just ivan or having another male or what. He just pretty much advoided Ivan when he could and ignored him the rest of the time. I think Ivan will have a totally different outlook on having another dog in the house. Even though hes almost 6 1/2 years old he still acts very much like a puppy.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
This picture is really cute!! And Bonnie was gorgeous. I love chocolate labs.

We added Mu when Murphy was 6ish. He is pretty much the worst dog EVER to teach a puppy manners. He let her do whatever she pleased, she pulled fur out of his tail, she ran full speed into him more times than I can count, she took things from him, she chewed on his ears constantly. She was a terror and he was like that indulgent older brother who says "Oh she's just a baby, she doesn't mean it." On the plus side, I never ever worried about him hurting her. And once she grew out of the piranha stage he really enjoyed her. I can't say that he acted younger, but he really liked having another dog around. Before we got Mu he used to go play at my sister's house all day, but a couple months before we had to stop because he didn't get along with one of her dogs. So he was lonely and I think he liked the company. When we added Tipper he didn't even blink. Although at that point him and Mu were used to the fosters coming and going.

Anyway - this is a long winded way of saying, know your dog. And if your dog is too tolerant make sure you find one that will discipline your puppy! (Properly of course....lol).

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Argon was 7 when I brought Gambit in. He took it suprisingly well, and I think is now fond of Gambit in his own way. He mostly ignores him, doesn't mind being seperated from him, and probably wouldn't care if I got rid of Gambit tomorrow. But that's just Argon's personality.

I do not think I will bring in another dog while Argon is still alive (never say never), but that would be more due to the dynamics in the home then age considerations.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I've fostered tons of dogs throughout Maddie's life, so she's used it it. I've also always lived in a multiple dog house, whether it was hear with my parents, or with my rommmates and their dogs. And I've always considered Missy(GSD) mine, though technically she is not.
That being said, things were "different" when I brought Bailey home. She's 2, so it's easier in that sense, I believe. Maddie doesn't have much tolerance for baby puppies anymore but she was 8 soon to be 9,and it always shocks me how well they got along and so soon. They sleep together, they even play together (Maddie doesn't play with dogs much, she's more people-oreinted), and I'm able to take both of them most places

So I'm in the "I'd depends on the dog" club I think you and Jackson would like a buddy. But that's only what I've read/seen on here and FB. It's sounds like you're interested, but hesitant... So what's up? What's worrying you the most? Maybe we can talk it out with you & help you 'decide'? Either way ~ As always, feel free to PM me if you ever want

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Great posts! Thanks for all your insight.

I loved seeing the pictures, Doberluv. How sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post

So I'm in the "I'd depends on the dog" club I think you and Jackson would like a buddy. But that's only what I've read/seen on here and FB. It's sounds like you're interested, but hesitant... So what's up? What's worrying you the most? Maybe we can talk it out with you & help you 'decide'? Either way ~ As always, feel free to PM me if you ever want
Hmm... well, I think what worries me most is the change of lifestyle... if it will even change THAT much. I just worry too much. I'm content with just Jackson and I feel like, why am I even thinking of adding another dog? I really think Jackson would enjoy a friend since he loves other dogs so much but then I always read "don't get a dog to be a friend for your first dog!!" LOL.

I really like that I am able to take Jackson with me most places that I go -- meaning, on holidays, we go to my uncles house for Thanksgiving for example, he comes with me. Don't know if I could do it with two. I suppose the family wouldn't care, but I feel like it can be more of a nuisance with two, but I could be wrong. We go to Gettysburg every summer, he comes with me, it's easy with one... two may be an issue, plus the hotel fees of keeping two vs. one. I don't want to end up just, like, leaving both at home because I don't want to take only one. That sort of thing.

Most things would be fine with two. Ya know, parks, trails, dog parks, pet stores, etc, I could easily do with two. I suppose it's not a huge deal if I have to give up bringing him with me on holidays. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, those only happen... what, a few times a year, whereas I think a second dog would fit great into my life in every other aspect.

I do still live at home, but that may be for another two years, so I also don't want to wait that long to add a second, either. Sooo... basically, I'm actively looking right now (at breeders and petfinder). I *think* I've decided I'll want a second dog to be an adult and not do the puppy thing again. I dogsit a puppy so Jackson sees him every day and gets along with him alright but gets annoyed real quickly with him, plus then I remember all the hard work that comes along with a pup and I think an adult wouldn't screw up our 'dynamics' so much, LOL. I really enjoy that Jackson will sleep in with me til 10am if wanted Oh, that's another thing... no longer will Jackson be able to come with me on my dog-walking runs during the days. I mean, I suppose he could, but I'd have to leave new dog at home.

Sorry this turned into another 'why should or shouldn't I get a second dog' rant again.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Have you considered fostering at all? That way you get to live it and see what it is REALLY like, and then if you don't like it, you aren't stuck with a dog.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

`I think it depends on the owner too. If your just going to throw them together and not be around to monitor then it would be an a plus bad idea. If your really involved and can make sure to give the older dog, space and time, and extra attention then that would be ideal.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Have you considered fostering at all? That way you get to live it and see what it is REALLY like, and then if you don't like it, you aren't stuck with a dog.
I was going to say this too. It's a great way to figure out if you can handle one more dog. That's how I learned that three is our limit. Plus you get to help other dogs and it's easier (I think) to find a dog that fits you because you'll see their real personality because they're in your house. I miss fostering.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

I'd love to foster! A few rescues I've contacted have made it impossible though. I'm living at home, almost 21, (some have an over 21 or 25 rule, own home, etc) and the one told me I had to attend foster meetings 2x a month and it was like an hour drive from my house. But yes I'd love to foster if I could find someone willing to give me a dog.

Brit & Jackson