Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
BusterLove

Buster was 7 when I got Quinn, Mac was 4.5. Buster took too her better and faster than Mac, Mac didn't warm up to her for months, she hadn't had a younger dog introduced to the house with her before and she didn't understand.
I'll be interested to see how she goes with the next puppy.

Buster is a bit of an old hand at puppies. He is a bit full on but a good teacher.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
As a rule there is no rule, just know your dogs tolerance.
This. When we bring our new white Swiss Shepherd home Sheena will be a month or two shy of 9yrs old. She will be the mentor. She loves puppies and loves to help with their training. Luna will be the one the puppy gets to run around with and go crazy with because she will be close to two by then.

As long as you know your dogs temperments, limits and so on it can work well. Know when to give the older dog a break from the puppy. When to distract and so on.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Mary was 12 and Victor was 5 months. She didn't talk to me for 3 weeks. Yes he was a little hard on her, but he got her up and going, and eventually he made the quality of her life soooooo much better because I had to get out and do those things to wear him out that I had not done in a while because we had become lazy. She had to work harder to keep up with him, which made her feel better and I truly believe he added to the quality of her life and added years to it because we were having just too much fun.

Also having her as a trained dog helped me teach both Victor and Pepper and she enjoyed being the leader and "helping". I really think it depends on the older dog. THis has been our experience. If she had been much older 14 or so, I don't think she would have been quite up to his 5 month old antics. THat might have been too hard on her.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 PM
*Now with Snark*

I'll second or third the it really depends on the dog. Also the experience of the owner and the willingness to crate/rotate the new puppy if need be. If the new puppy is essentially terrorizing the older dog or the older dog really does go into complete avoidance maybe it's as simple as keeping the two separated until your puppy is old enough to have learned some manners.

On the flip side of that equation is the older dog who LOVES puppies. Two years ago when Rain was a wee nipper I was amazed how much our old spaniel adored, played with and doted on the puppies. A dog I hadn't seen play with another dog in ages was a romping rolling fool.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

My poor old Lab, Bonnie had two puppies converging on her when she was pretty old. First, I got Chulita but Chulita was never a wild puppy or a pest. And Bonnie was a very tolerant dog anyhow, a matronly type with loads of experience in life and all the changes that came with her life. She was one of those anything goes kind of dogs. I think she was about, oh gosh, I'd have to look back at records to figure out how old. But she was no spring chicken. So, those two hit it off very soon after I brought Chulita home, after one snarky episode initially from Bonnie, but she soon got over it.

When Chuli was a couple years old or so, I got Jose` and when he was mature enough, my Dobe. Bonnie was about 11 or 12 and the Chi's....oh man, this is getting complicated. Well, they were middle age, I guess. (my math sucks) lol. Now that Dobe puppy was hell on wheels. So, I made sure the others weren't harrassed by this pup. And that they had plenty of one on one time with me, a place to relax and so on. Soon, we were all taking walks together, Lyric was learning how to be relatively polite and they all loved each other.
Here's Bonnie with baby Jose` curled up next to her. He wasn't a wild puppy either....just loved to snuggle and she acted like a mother to him.

Here they all are on the beach together. Bonnie's a little in the background, her coat sort of faded looking. She was getting quite old but not decrepid yet..probably about 11 or so.

Then my son's dog came to live with us. Meanwhile, poor Bonnie went off to Rainbow Bridge.

So, I'll second the idea of... depending on the dogs and how it is handled. Each dog should get a fair deal for their situation and age etc. I've been lucky in that all my dogs have gotten along...never had any big problems. One little temporary issue from my Dobe toward Jose` in one kind of context, but we fixed that up.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM
overdogged

Siren was a couple months shy of 16 when I brought Luce home. She was so senile though that it didn't really make much of a difference to her. They didn't play together, didn't really pay much attention to one another. There were never any difficulties, and I'm very glad that I made the decision to get Luce. I can't imagine how awful it would have been to come home to a house without a dog after putting Siren to sleep.

and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM
orange iguanas.

Totally depends on the dogs I think. Molly was 9 or 10 when we got Lucy; but Lucy was such a mellow puppy and pretty much matched Molly's senior personality, so there was no issue there.
But Molly HATED it when my brother would bring his puppies over. They'd keep jumping on her wanting to play and she was not tolerant of it at all. He was banned from bringing his dogs over because it just wasn't fair to her.
She didn't really like dogs in the first place though, so I don't think that ever would have been an enjoyable situation to her.

But I mean, it's not just a senior dog thing. Heck, Lucy was only 3 when we got Juno, but Lucy does not like other dogs (especially in your face dogs, aka boxer puppies) and so it was a big deal. It's all about teaching the new dog acceptable behavior around the resident dog.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Siren was a couple months shy of 16 when I brought Luce home. She was so senile though that it didn't really make much of a difference to her. They didn't play together, didn't really pay much attention to one another. There were never any difficulties, and I'm very glad that I made the decision to get Luce. I can't imagine how awful it would have been to come home to a house without a dog after putting Siren to sleep.

Such a cute picture. Siren looked like such a sweet dog and Luce too. Yes, it is really difficult when one dies and you have no other dog to comfort. That's how it was when we lost our most recent GSD, Ajax. I couldn't stand it so only about 2 months went by before I got Bonnie. I think that we have to do what is best for us as long as we make sure the other dogs are okay. And they usually are as long as the puppy doesn't harrass them to death.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm All Ears

When the shelties were 8 that's when papillons began to enter the picture. After we got Beau, we ended up adding at least one young pap a year for the next 4 or 5 years.

Adding Beau was a little bit of a shock for the shelties. Peace and quiet was interrupted for sure. I will say nikki never liked them much. It was kind of a mutual love/hate thing. The paps tormented those old shelties. After we added Rose though, they'd just take a new one without blinking. Oh? You brought ANOTHER one home? By the time it came to let the papillon breeders keep a 13 year old Trey with the 16 paps they had at that time I am pretty sure he thought he was a young papillon. He never batted an eye. Trey did really love the paps and they would baby him. Rose especially watched out for him since he was so blind and deaf towards the end to let him know if the dogs were going outside to potty or something.

Summer was 5 when I added Mia. She's 7 now and I don't worry about adding a puppy at all. I think especially if it was another pap she would be overjoyed. She'll deal with the BC even though she'll likely be 8 or nearing 8 by the time it comes. Summer acts younger than most young dogs I know. She's in great shape and still very active and high strung. She better last me a LONG time.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Holy crap, the realization that Summer will be 8 next year....

I remember at 8 thinking Nikki was getting old. It seems impossible that Summer could be that old. She doesn't seem it at all.