Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

My answers are in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Z has periodic incontinence, too. A few thoughts:

- have you had her urine tested? Z's came back with crystals even after we treated a UTI so I switched her food and the crystals went away, along with the accidents.

Yes, when I took her into the vet for the first time because of the issue I managed to swipe some morning pee. To take with me and everything was normal.

- what is she eating? Switching Z to a moist food (Honest Kitchen) helped immensely and a friend of mine also cautioned against giving beef because it supposedly can trigger incontinence in susceptible dogs (I think something in Chinese medicine related to heat/cold/etc.?).

Right now she is on raw. Chicken necks, Ground up whole chicken, chicken feet, ground beef I introduced pork last week, and I introduced beef and chicken heart this week.

- Leaks No More is supposed to work well for a number of dogs - I have an online friend who has used it with great success when her vet wanted to go to Proin.

Thanks for that info. I might try it and see what happens, there is not suppose to me any side effects or so that's what I found in my research.

- Our vet said that low calcium can sometimes cause problems with the nerves that control the bladder so she recommended giving more raw bones, specifically turkey necks.

Oh, I am gonna have to get me some Turkey necks.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Wild At Heart

Forgive me if you or anyone else has mentioned this, I didn't read the whole thing Anyways, have you tried Cranberry Capsules before? Its a more natural way and it might help - just throwing it out there

Harleigh <3
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvsu15 View Post
Forgive me if you or anyone else has mentioned this, I didn't read the whole thing Anyways, have you tried Cranberry Capsules before? Its a more natural way and it might help - just throwing it out there
Nikkie, you have mentioned them before and they are on my to try list

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
orange iguanas.

FWIW, DES did not really help Juno, but she's been on Proin for a couple months now and we notice a huuuuuge difference.

1tsp of chopped parsley once a day (I think) is supposed to help, as it's a natural diuretic. I tried it for a couple weeks with Juno, inbetween switching from DES to Proin... she definitely wasn't any worse and I would have continued with it, but my mom was super paranoid that she'd start peeing in bed again.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Bailey took DES for years then we started weaning her down when she started getting regular chiropractic adjustments. No more urinary accidents as long as she sees the chiropractor regularly. I know mine's not the first, nor did I "believe" in it before it happened with my own dog.

She's been off DES for almost a year now with zero accidents and we were having multiple incontinence issues a week before DES.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

So I went out and bought some corn silk and Cran capsels. It says on the bottle it can take about a month for them to start working. I am really hopping It will because frankly I really dont want her on proin.

So can we have everyones good vibes that this will work

Old 07-19-2011, 06:05 PM
PSD Partner

I don't know what to suggest. Sheena is on DES and with in 24 hours of starting on it she no longer had any issues. She has a pill once every 6 days. Wish I could be more of a help.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Top Dog

This is what happened to Piper 2 1/2hrs. after I gave her Proin for the first time..

Gums were BRIGHT red as well. 30min. after that was taken, she started vomiting; threw up a good 10 times. We almost took her to the ER vet, she was just so out of it (she has NEVER thrown up since we've had her). Luckily, she stopped and was 100% normal the next AM. So, NO more Proin for Piper!

Haven't tried anything else yet. Her incontinence is really sporadic.. sometimes she'll go a month between accidents, other times she'll have one once a week. I've read soy milk can help, so I plan on trying that next.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

OMG Kady, poor little thing.

I will have to look up the soy milk thing. Im just really hoping that the Corn silk, and cran will work. So far its doing nothing, but it might take a while.

I just feel so bad for Teagan because right now her leaking is just so bad especially at night.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
OMG Kady, poor little thing.

I will have to look up the soy milk thing. Im just really hoping that the Corn silk, and cran will work. So far its doing nothing, but it might take a while.

I just feel so bad for Teagan because right now her leaking is just so bad especially at night.
Yeah it was pretty scary! It was like I poisoned her.. I felt awful. I have heard that the "Leaks No More" stuff works. A friend of mine has some leftover that she's going to give me next time we see each other so I can try it. Can't hurt I guess!