Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default incontinence dilemma

I have a dilemma. About a month ago the vet diagnosed Teagan with hormonal incontinent. He prescribed her DES. At the beginning she was on half a tablet every day for three days and half a tablet every second day for the rest of the week and than the second week she was on one tablet a week.

The DES never seemed to help. I was still putting diapers on her at night just in case. She never peed in them every night, but she was still peeing in them ever 2-3 night.

I called the vet and he suggested that I up her dose again to half a tablet for every second day than every third day and so on.

Well last night while watching TV Teagan peed all over the couch.

I don't know if I should give the DES some more time or what.

Also, the vet said if the DES does not work than he wants to do a bunch of blood work than try proin.

Which I really don't want to try. After reading this thread on another forum it kinnda scared me a bit.

Is your dog on PROIN? READ THIS! - Dog Health & Nutrition - Dog Forums - I-Love-Dogs.com

So if you were in my situation what would you do? Because I really don't know what direction if I should go.

Also I found there is a natural product I could try called "leak no more" I might see if that would work.

Another question can you guys think of any other issue that might cause incontinence while relaxed?

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Would you consider keeping the diaper on her whenever she's indoors, rather than giving her medication? I've known a few diaper dogs and they all seemed to get used to it soon enough.

Find out more about my New York City Dog Walkers
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

You know what I have considered it, a lot actually. Because right now if the DES does not work I do not want to put her on proin. I think the risk is just to great for me to even consider it.

But I am also thinking if I should go the blood work or not. If there is even a point.

I think I might actually try the "leak no more stuff" and see if that works or not.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
You know what I have considered it, a lot actually. Because right now if the DES does not work I do not want to put her on proin. I think the risk is just to great for me to even consider it.

But I am also thinking if I should go the blood work or not. If there is even a point.

I think I might actually try the "leak no more stuff" and see if that works or not.
I have nothing to add, except that I would probably do the same thing.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I know two dogs on proin and neither one has had any adverse reactions. They also don't pee on themselves anymore either.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Durp Dog

Hugs.

I don't have much to add, but wouldn't her skin get irritated wearing the diapers 24/7? Obviously you will keep her clean, Iam just wondering... I think a few ppl on here (is it juno and emma?) that give proin.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I know two dogs on proin and neither one has had any adverse reactions. They also don't pee on themselves anymore either.
Yes, I do understand that it works for a lot of dogs, but I am just taking that chance that she might have a reaction to it. If there is an alternative that is natural and will work than that's the path I am taking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogKisses View Post
Hugs.

I don't have much to add, but wouldn't her skin get irritated wearing the diapers 24/7? Obviously you will keep her clean, Iam just wondering... I think a few ppl on here (is it juno and emma?) that give proin.
Ha ha, She would not be wearing the diaper 24/7 only when we go to bed. She just seems to pee during the evening and when she is sleeping. And cleaning up after her if she pees on the couch or floor is not a big deal since its a leather couch and we have no carpet.

My main concern is that she is visibly distressed when she does pee herself. I am doing a lot of research right now on natural stuff you can give your dogs. So I think I am going to go that direction or go to a homeopath vet.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Yes, I do understand that it works for a lot of dogs, but I am just taking that chance that she might have a reaction to it.
You took a chance that she'd have a bad reaction to DES, though. Even given at the appropriate dose, it can (rarely) cause bone marrow suppression and lead to potentially fatal aplastic anemia. I've never seen it happen, of course, but it can. It took was taken off the market because it did horrible things to people, though in this case it was more to the children of the people who took it.

I have to admit, I don't put a lot of stock in the scare stories on websites.

But then again, my dog takes Proin AND Rimadyl.

Black cohosh is a natural supplement that is supposed to help with incontinence. It didn't help my dog, but it may be something to look into.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
You took a chance that she'd have a bad reaction to DES, though. Even given at the appropriate dose, it can (rarely) cause bone marrow suppression and lead to potentially fatal aplastic anemia. I've never seen it happen, of course, but it can. It took was taken off the market because it did horrible things to people, though in this case it was more to the children of the people who took it.

I have to admit, I don't put a lot of stock in the scare stories on websites.

But then again, my dog takes Proin AND Rimadyl.

Black cohosh is a natural supplement that is supposed to help with incontinence. It didn't help my dog, but it may be something to look into.

Thanks El, I do know that the DES can rarely cause bone marrow suppression and that other issue. That is also why I am looking into an natural alternative. I might just take her off it all together. I don't think it would be an issue if she was only taking it once a week or less, but I was giving her half a tablet every second day and she was still peeing herself. And I do not want to have her on that high or higher of a dose.

And I will look into black cohosh. I also found that corn silk might help as well. And a whole bunch of other stuff. I guess It will be all trial and error.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Behavior Nerd

Z has periodic incontinence, too. A few thoughts:

- have you had her urine tested? Z's came back with crystals even after we treated a UTI so I switched her food and the crystals went away, along with the accidents.

- what is she eating? Switching Z to a moist food (Honest Kitchen) helped immensely and a friend of mine also cautioned against giving beef because it supposedly can trigger incontinence in susceptible dogs (I think something in Chinese medicine related to heat/cold/etc.?).

- Leaks No More is supposed to work well for a number of dogs - I have an online friend who has used it with great success when her vet wanted to go to Proin.

- Our vet said that low calcium can sometimes cause problems with the nerves that control the bladder so she recommended giving more raw bones, specifically turkey necks.