All the scooter people?

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
OK so Abe is having some trouble.

We have been scootering with Abe (Aussie) and Bryn (Brittany) for just over 4 months now. I have been scootering with Bryn for probably 2 years (started roller blading at first)

So now Bryn is old and no longer scooters.

Abe will not pull.

He has pulled just fine all this time with bryn. He would continue to pull when i told bryn to give some slack.

But he won't pull on his own.

He won't pull the sand bag or the tyre either.

I think before we had him he was punished for pulling because on leash he is very very sensitive.

But when i get on the scooter he stops as soon as the line gets tight.

Where do we go from here?

A lot of dogs won't run on their own. Even if your other dog was backing off, it was right there. It could be encouragement that it is ok to pull, or just more exciting.

You get to start right back at the beginning. Something even lighter than a tire, giving praise and encouragement. You need to try and make pulling fun and exciting, and that he knows the difference between walking on a leash, and pulling in a harness.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Awesome sauce thanks.

This is what we have been doing (starting with a 1lb weight).

Maybe i will try and find a friend to hook him up with.

Maybe start with a empty jug, then as he gets comfortable with that add a little water/sand and keep upping the amount of water/sand until the jug is full... then add another empty jug onto the end of the line, ect.

Bouncing jugs would freak my dogs out, too loud, where they can't see it. Light, yes, but you don't want to spook them either.

I was thinking in the grass... a empy jug slidding thru grass hardly makes noise, pulling anything that isn't on wheels is going to make noise. That said, I do see where some dogs would freak. Depends on the dog. ;)

If you go this route go slow and start off with a leash attatched.

Teal

...ice road...
Why, you get another dog that loves to pull, of course! :D

But, if that's not an option... then I agree, you must start back at the beginning. The jug slowly filled with water/sand is a perfect idea!

I had another idea today... first get him use to any noise the jug (or whatever he's pulling) makes, then try throwing a beloved toy (or treat!) a few feet in front of him.

You can also try standing a couple feet in front of him and clap/call him/jump around/ect in a high pitched noise like you are having the BEST TIME EVAR to encourage him to pull/come to you. Increase distance as he gets more comfortable.

Members online

No members online now.