Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

I have done a lot of puppy tests over the years and been present or helped many other breeders do the tests. And although it is a decent guide line, I have seen the reserved and almost shy pup mature into the most outgoing and nerves of steel dog going. Where as the pup that didn't blink at the pot banging test, melted by the time it was an adult.
I like the middle of the road types and then you must do your part and socialize them into the ground and haul them everywhere, then cross your fingers
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM
The Littlest Hound

I've seen so many pups be SO very different as they mature then how they seemed with their litter, that my new plan is this:

I pour over pedigrees and meet dogs of the line to see what I like, what quirks stand out to me, and what I can live with. I go meet a litter that is, genetically, set up to succeed (in the woods), and choose the pup with the best conformation.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 AM
*Now with Snark*

I pick parents more than I pick puppies. I then select (if I get a choice) the middle of the road puppy with the hopes that it gets the qualities from both parents that I like. I then socialize, play with, and enjoy the little nipper until it gets 8-24+ months old and then reevaluate my decision. Hopefully if the stars align I get the dog I really wanted and the dog I deserve all in one package.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
I pour over pedigrees and meet dogs of the line to see what I like, what quirks stand out to me, and what I can live with. I go meet a litter that is, genetically, set up to succeed (in the woods), and choose the pup with the best conformation.
Well sure I was assuming that had already been done if I'm now at the puppy-picking stage

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Water Junkie

I let the breeder pick which pup I was to get from Blaze's litter, but I wanted friendly, outgoing, *not* the dominate pup, easy going, and happy.

With Lizzie, she was the only female of her litter, so easy choice. I had the choice of another pup from a different litter, but that pup had no interest in me at all - only wanted my brother and sisters.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Felurian

It would make my life much easier if I didn't prefer dominant personality dogs, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia was from a litter of two. Her sister is very calm and easygoing and then there is Mia....

I think the words Mia's breeder used were 'has nice energy' lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

For the most part Ivans breeder picked him out for me. She listened to what I was looking for in personality and looks. But when it came down to it, I got to choose between Ivan and his brother. Looks wise his brother was more of what I was looking for but personality wise Ivan called to me. Out of the 8 puppies in his litter he was the one who came up to see me. Followed me around and was much more interested in interacting with us. Look wise he was the total opposite of what I was wanting.
This time around I am being a bit more specific in what I want.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
It would make my life much easier if I didn't prefer dominant personality dogs, lol.
I will be probably be kicking myself in the butt when I get my mastiff. Because that's exactly what I want. A confident, secure, nerves of steel, dominant dog. At least I have somewhat of a idea having terriers and all, but a mastiffs is a lot bigger.

Renee you will be the one I come to for my problems

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I will let my breeder pick out the puppy that would work best for my wants/needs. My few hours at the breeders house is nothing compaired to her 8 weeks or more of watching and knowing them.
I picked out Riley based on sex and color. I got Extremely luckly, but I think the whole litter had nice temperaments anyways!