Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

I tend to go for pups that are more reserved.. the sit in the back, while their litter mates are trying to eat each other type LOL. That's how Wilson was.. he was 1 of 12 and when I went to see the litter, he was passed out asleep while his siblings were romping around.

I also go for more submissive pups.. I'm not into dominant dogs. So I always hold them on their backs to see how they react. I also look for some toy drive, so I throw a toy and see what they do with that. I clap my hands really loud (or make some kind of weird noise) and see how they react.. I don't want a terrified dog.

Wilson & Piper I picked myself. Sako was a spur of the moment "oooh he's so pretty!" (then his breeder & I started talking) decision and I didn't meet him til the day I picked him up at 9wks.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM
overdogged

When I picked Steve, I only had two to choose from, so I picked the more outgoing and into everything of the two. His breeder had taken a bunch of videos from hamster-size on up, and Steve was totally an instigator. He was the one getting into things and then the other puppies would be like "ooh cool look what he's doing!"

Steve turned out to be a total reactive weenie once I got him home. Doh.

My next pup will probably be, for the most part, chosen by the breeder.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Of our dogs we've gotten from reputable breeders, they've all been picked for me. Beau, Nard, and Mia were all picked for us based on the breeder listening to what we wanted.

Mia was not the puppy I inquired about at all when I talked to her breeder. I asked about a red sable, actually. The breeder steered me towards what she felt was a better pick for me based on what I told her I wanted in a dog and I ended up trusting that she knew the pups better than I did. From how awesome Mia is, I think she did a good job. I've followed where the other pup ended up and I think she was much more laid back and is probably better suited to who she ended up with. I did meet Mia before bringing her home but by that point had already pretty much settled on her just based on what the breeder had said about her.

So my advice is be specific and talk with your breeder and listen to them. They know the pups better than you could.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 PM
such sights to show you

Well Squash is the only dog I've gotten as a puppy. Honestly I did fall for his looks at first, but then emailed back and forth with his mama's person about what qualities I like in a dog, the types of activities I was interested in, etc. It so happened that she felt he was a good match for our family (and she was right) so it all worked out, but if she had thought a different puppy would have been better personality-wise, I would have believed her and taken it instead.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
APBT crazy!

I tend to go for the ones that have tons of personality and outgoing.
Buster in his litter was more reserved, but still had a fun outgoing personality and that's why we chose him and he will be 8 in January. He is a derpy dog, amazing and full of personality even if he is dopey.

Rudy wasn't with his litter when we got him, we got him from a bad situation where he was abused, so that's different but he was more of a reserved puppy since he was living with a boy that hurt him. I am not used to having timid/reserved pups so he was different but he is a good boy, very very sensitive but I love him and he is almost 3 now.

Dixie was at the shelter I work at. She didn't come in with littermates as she was abandoned but I picked her because of her personality and because she was cute, lol. But I mainly adopted her because of her boisterous personality, I mean who could have resisted her? I sure couldn't and she is amazing. She's almost 2 now, can't believe that seems like yesterday we just got her.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Lord Cynical

I let the breeder pick the puppy for me.

That said, the last three dobes I've had have come to me as adults... but I did know Jayne when he was a baby. I remember him being OBNOXIOUS - I could tell he'd be a handful - and when I got him as an adult, I realized my predictions were correct.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
BusterLove

Quinn was the most reserved pup in the litter, I'd already fallen in love with her picture and I really just wanted to meet her to make sure.

This time I really wanted something on the quieter side to mesh well with Buster. I don;t think I'd pick like this again. I knew then at 4 weeks that she was shyer than her other litermates which were all hanging off my pant legs.
Its carried over to her adult personality but its nothing I can't work with, she's still drivey, intense and insane but she's not as sure of herself as I'd like. I wanted a soft dog this time around but I probably don't next time.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Felurian

It depends on the breed. I'm going to look for something entirely different in an APBT puppy from what I'd look for in a Fila puppy, for instance. I want the Fila puppy who stands back and sizes me up and makes strong eye contact before coming to me. That's the opposite of what I'd want in an APBT.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Let it be

A dog with a heart of gold.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
orange iguanas.

I would take a "middle of the road" puppy. Not the most active one, or the eager beaver of the bunch; but not the quiet, shy one either. Somewhere inbetween.

Juno was the only puppy left, so there was no question. And when we went to visit her, I didn't pay any attention to how she interacted with her littermates or other surroundings--probably because at that point it didn't matter, she was going to be mine regardless. It turned out fine, but I wouldn't be shocked if she was one of the more obnoxious pups from the litter.

Lucy we picked because my mom was drawn to her for some reason lol. I actually wanted her sister, just because I thought she was cuter.

I don't know how FuturePuppy will be picked. Too far for me to go visit, so I'll just have to go on breeder's description, and photos. But again, I'm pretty much looking for "moderate" when it comes to all behaviors.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013