Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Training the Trainer

Default Hmmm is she coming on heat??

Ruby and Chester had another supervised interaction last night - we have a baby gate so they can sniff and lick each other without Ruby trying to jump him in her excitement...lol

Things were going very well, they were licking, sniffing, talking a bit, tails wagging MADLY the whole time, and Ruby was totally overexcited but trying very hard to contain herself - obeying all her commands straight away etc...

Then after about 15 minutes she started to really stick her butt right in Chester's face through the baby gate, and then she would run around the kitchen in mad circles, come back, stop, stick butt in face, mad circles again. We had to isolate her for a bit to calm her down!!

My vet thinks she's probably coming on heat and her spay is scheduled for two days' time, but I wondered if perhaps it could be that or something else?

What do you guys think?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Top Dog

Has there been any signs of heat ?? This sounds like the 2nd week interaction. If she is in heat, she should be spade for another 3 months.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Training the Trainer

No, nothing physical, just that behaviour last night. But then again, there was a gate between them, and dogs do like to sniff each other's bums, so maybe that was all!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 10-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Top Dog

I don't know, but if she is, she can get bred through that baby gate. I wouldn't trust it at all. Good that she's getting spayed soon. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Training the Trainer

Oh goodness I hope we don't have to worry about that! - Chester is only 13 weeks old and only has one descended teste at this stage so I hope he's not fertile!! Plus, Ruby wouldn't stand still long enough and he's so little compared to her I don't think he'd be able to reach!!

Old 10-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Puppy Dog

Take a tissue and wipe her "area" if there is a slight brownish discharge then shes coming into heat. Take her in for her spay appointment, if the vet feels she is too far into the heat cycle they will rebook in about 3 weeks when the uterus swelling has gone down. I was talking to a breeder who put some sort of scent on her females she wasn't breeding and it masked the scent so her males didn't go crazy. I can't think what it is, if I remember I will let you know

Just to let you know that in normal play with my spayed female she sticks her butt in other male and female dogs faces. Also, when dogs are getting to know each other a confident dog will push it's rear to the dog to smell, shy dogs or non confident dogs try to put tail between leg and not allow smelling.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

Oh...LOL. Well, I guess Chester is a little young. LOL.