Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
and Spy.

Default Lets brainstorm.

I have been thinking about Paige's shelter in MS and all the puppies they have to euth for lack of space. If we can get them here, I *know* they would all get adopted relatively quickly. I am thinking I will call some airlines and ask if we can have these puppies transported for free (or for a small and reasonable price) whenever they have a plane that is not full. Can you guys suggest airlines to try?

What about other ways to move them?

If I manage to get some luck with airlines, would anyone be willing to step up and help for a leg of the journey? For example, if a litter had to take two planes to get here, would anyone be willing to pick them up and house or potty them if they landed nearby? Or, if I could get them to the Seattle area, could we set up a transport to the border, where I could then get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

Wow, thank you! This is a great idea!

From what I've been told, there are rarely puppies up north, so I'm sure all these black puppies that we're having to pts for space would be adopted in a heartbeat!

I'll keep my eye out on this thread
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
and Spy.

Yes we have a waiting list for puppies... It's so sad that there is so much demand for them here while in other places they are killing them for lack of space Is your shelter easygoing in terms of letting rescues pull the dogs? If we can get an arrangement I can get a local rescue to support us or the district shelter What's the biggest local airport in your area?

Quote:
Quote:
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Yes, my shelter is very rescue-friendly. We just sent a litter to a rescue in New Hamphire, actually.

There's one in Tupelo, where I live, but it's tiny. The biggest would be the one in Memphis, TN.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Felurian

Have you thought about contacting Operation Roger?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

There was a woman that used to work with the rescue that I started out with that did something similar. She would drive 3 hours on our adoption event days to bring a truckload of dogs from a rural shelter up to the event and stay with them for the duration. The rescue group operated out of a different, much more urbanized area of the state where adoption rates are significantly higher. If the dogs didn't get adopted or fostered at the event, they were returned to the rural shelter. Most of the dogs that came from that rural shelter were on death row to begin with, so it must've been a hard drive back to the shelter at the end of the day, but it definitely made quite the difference in the lives of many dogs.

One of my early fosters came from that situation, and within a week up here, she was adopted. She came to the event one day when I was volunteering and I couldn't see her get returned to the shelter to be put down, so I offered to foster her. With a nice photo and bio, this seven year old mutt was adopted the next week from my area. (photo: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...s/IMG_3228.jpg)

If I'm not mistaken, Lilivati's Sarama came from the exact same situation.

Granted, that rescue organization had quite a few issues that I later learned about, but that was one very good thing that they helped accomplish.

I have thought about starting up a similar organization in the far future because it seems like a great way to save lives without needing so many resources as rescues that actually take possession of the animals that they rescue before adoption.

The group that I currently foster for primarily pulls puppies and pregnant moms from rural shelters. Unlike the first group, they actually take possession of the dogs and move all of the animals into foster homes before adoption.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Have you thought about contacting Operation Roger?
Never heard of them... Googling now

GoingNowhere - Good on that woman. Wish I could do that for the puppies but I doubt I could fly them out for a day What would you like to do that does not require foster homes? Pull dogs for adoption events for a day type of thing?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Water Junkie

What if you somehow set up a transport list via Chazzers? We have a good amount of people willing to help. What if you were able to get a list/map together, have these people in place, then set a date and transport a big group of puppies?

Just another idea!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
and Spy.

Jen I was thinking of that too, but it's a really long way and I actually don't think I could generate enough people to make the driving distance reasonable Based off google maps, theres about 42 hours worth of driving. We would have to start in Mississippi and travel north and west to BC. I could pick them up at the border or just across it if we could arrange to have them meet me there

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

Maybe contact the rescue that would be taking the puppies in and see if they have any resources/ideas?