Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Unhappy Rosey went to the vet yesterday...

and the vet says she is pretty much deaf (probably has about 5-10% of her hearing) and pretty much blind in her left eye. Which, to be honest, we expected, just from the way she has been acting.

And now that the vet has confirmed that her left eye is the problem, her lunging at a dog a few weeks ago makes much more sense. (Not an excuse, but she had NEVER done it before, but this dog was jogging past on her left side)

Other than that, though, she is in amazing condition for an almost 14 year old dog The vet was saying that most older dogs she sees are overweight/obese, which I can see, and she was pleasantly surprised that Rosey is in a perfect (a little on the skinny side, if anything) weight. She just looks fat cause of her muttly build and floof

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I was really worried when I saw the title of this thread... I'm SO happy to hear that she's doing well overall!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Felurian

You may find that she's somewhat selectively deaf . . . but can still hear a piece of meat dropped on the carpet.

(((((((HUGS))))))) Sucks that they get older on us, doesn't it?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You may find that she's somewhat selectively deaf . . . but can still hear a piece of meat dropped on the carpet.
^that.

Major (15) is probably going deaf also. He also had the beginning of cataracts in both eyes. I can tell both have gotten worse (he doesn't respond to door bells or big trucks coming down the street like he used to) but usually just speaking louder to him does the trick.

Amazing how old these dogs can be, yet still be in very good condition minus a few age related problems, isn't it?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM
My dog tickles my soul

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

I'm glad to hear that she's still doing well, despite the hearing and the blind eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post

(((((((HUGS))))))) Sucks that they get older on us, doesn't it?
Selectively deaf... describes my mom's old dog, Shawna. She was probably the same as Rosey, as what the vet said. But she could still hear a stray piece of food hit the ground... but not the SCREAMING cat whose tail she (Shawna) was standing on as she ate said food.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It was the little things we noticed that made us think she was losing her sight and hearing.

Like, she used to ALWAYS run when you said "oops" cause it meant you drop food. Lately, she has not been. You have to go up to her and say "ROSEY! OOPS!" and then lead her to the piece of food.

However, you can still whisper walk and she will jump up and be ready to go

Also explains why she is much more worried when the ferrets are out and she is not on the couch, and why she has issues getting onto the couch.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Glad to hear she had an overall good visit
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Glad to hear she had a mostly clean bill of health

Older dogs are so dear...my old cocker always made me think of a well-loved teddy bear. He was going deaf and losing his sight as he got older as well...it never did stop him though.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

You scared me so bad with this title :/

I'm glad to hear my Rosey girl is doing okay, and that you know that there is nothing seriously wrong with her. Give her kisses for me k?
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Love My Mutt <3

People were side stepping my questions of how she did at the vet until tonight. It scared me to death.

I went as far as to give her lots of treats and tell her what a good girl she is and how much I love her yesterday before I left, I really did not know what to expect.

Oak, she will be getting tons of hugs and kisses from me when I get back home.