Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
such sights to show you

Squash and Maisy -- not even a little bit.

Pip is pretty good, but I think it's more that there's not an activity that he loves so much that he's motivated to keep doing once he gets too tired. Swimming for sticks comes close, but he'll stop for some chew breaks occasionally if he's getting very tired.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Yes and no. Blaze can and will go till he drops. It really depends on how into it he is and the heat, stress, fun, etc all play a big part. But he does give warning signs, which is nice.
Pretty much this for Traveler. He would just keep going but I know the signs of him being tired and ready for a break or to stop like not bringing the ball all the way back to me or getting distracted by little things. But given a choice he's not going to stop.

Kaylee doesn't know her limits but not because she'll keep going The issue with her is going "Ok Kaylee, really I promise it's not going to kill you to get off the bed"
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Bamm doesn't like the heat at all so he'll usually quit on me early.

Cricket not so much. With her it's not while we're playing fetch or anything because she still hasn't mastered fetch. She'd much rather run after the ball and take it elsewhere. But... when we went to the lake she would NOT stop jumping in the lake. After an hour of playing we were ready to leave and she cried for a while because she wasn't done swimming around. So, I think for her it really depends on the activity she's doing.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure - I don't think I've ever put her in a position where she was exhausted or over heated to the extreme. I worked with horses too long, where such things are much bigger deals. I am very careful with both animals when the temperatures or air quality are not good. I'd be inclined to say that, with things like playing fetch, Meg would probably take care of herself just fine. If we were out hiking or something, I'd be more worried she wouldn't, just because she is always careful to keep my close.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Im pretty sure that Teagan knows her limits and she has no issue telling me when she is close to it. She usually gives lots of warning.

When she has had enough she will usually just stop wanting to play or go run to her pool. If we are somewhere she is unfamiluar with she will want to be picked up.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Nope, Mia sure doesnt'. The others are pretty good about it but Mia is NOT. Not at all.

She runs till she pukes if you let her, regardless of temp outside and has done so many times. It was 102 the other day and she was just as active as she is when it's 70 or even 50 out. She will also slam herself through objects trying to get to a ball. I have to force her to quit playing ball and take breaks and make sure she goes to swim if it's hot out. I'm better at reading her now but still recently I let her go too long. I made my cousin stop throwing for her once after three hours and she was still going at the ball with the same drive she had been at the beginning.

Literally three hours later she's still going as hard as the first throw. She'll still throw the ball into your face and if you ignore her, she'll still complain and yell at you, lol. I remember I posted a video once on here where she was getting REALLY tired and I commented on it in the video. Everyone thought it was funny because she was still being incredibly hyper. It's very very subtle changes I notice.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Two do, two don't. And it's not both of the terriers! One Collie, one terrier will go till they drop, the other Collie and terrier will go all out but will stop before they are dying ...

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Felurian

"Limits? What are these 'limits' of which you speak?"

That's Kharma and Tallulah's take on it.

Bimmer's got a good handle on limits, although there have been times when his were way past where I thought they should be

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

No, Ivan has no idea when to stop. He will keep going until he drops. I can tell when hes getting too hot though and I will make him stop. But he stands there and looks at me with this why look on his face.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Durp Dog

It depends on what we are doing, how hot it is, and how into it she is. Playing fetch, yes she will just refuse to bring the ball back so we go inside. Usually, sometimes I have to make her stop if she is so zoned out that she doesn't notice that she is over doing it.

Biking.... not so much. I have to make her stop and take breaks when we go biking, even then she wants to keep going going going. lol. I swear, she would keep going until she hit the ocean on either coast. Then she would probably turn around and do it again. We only do 2-3 miles at a time, in cool weather, with frequent breaks, with her running in the grass. 1-2 times a week when we can. I've gotten slack with bike rides though, it's way too hot!