Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, Jackson is good at it. He loves to swim but after he dives about 10-20 times almost in a "row" he generally will stop, lay down for a good hour, and then he's back at it again. He always lets me know when he's done playing *anything* really. lol. Also walking -- if it's too hot, he will just stop. I know he needs a break then so we'll take a 3 minute water break and then back to it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Depends on the dog, my malinois haven't a clue. My apbt never knew either and honestly it's concerning me lately how quickly Arnold quits at things.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Resident fainting goat

Oh I didn't mean that those kinds of dogs don't exist, I certainly have seen driven dogs really tire themselves out
I'm saying I don't own one of those dogs! lol especially in the Miami heat, my guys tire out and head home pretty easily after a bit of exercise

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
On second thought...

On hot days paired with long walks, Cameron will drag me into someone's yard so that she can rest under a shady tree. It's embarrassing, so I kind of just smile. I've head a couple people come out of their homes and look at me, but they've never asked me what I'm doing 10+ feet into their yard.

So embarrassing!

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Blue_Dog

On walks (on or offleash) Sam will keep going and going and going. He used to know when he needed a break, but not so much anymore. :P I can usually tell when he is getting too tired because he either nudges me a lot or comes for more frequent 'visits' (when he's off leash).
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Wild At Heart

No, not at ALL.

Harleigh <3
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Yup. She just stops and goes and does something else. On a walk, she'll slow down, and slow down some more, until she is barely moving. Which is when I sit down with her and take a break

With the heat, her fur, and coloring, and age, she has been tiring out a lot really quickly :/
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Behavior Nerd

Kes - nope, not at all in pretty much any activity. I have to watch for a drop in performance to determine when to make him stop. He will also run thru pain/discomfrt with nary a sign.

Ziva - yup! She's very good at "going flop" when she's tired.

Aeri - mixed. She will keep going and going until she's past tired, but she does tend to stop before overheating/exhausting herself completely. She does not, however, stop due to pain.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
orange iguanas.

No. Juno would go until it killed her. When we're playing flirt pole, I know she is tired when she lays down and just wants to chew it, but if I kept swinging it around she'd keep chasing it. Sometimes when she's getting hot or tired, she'll quit what she was doing and start pacing and whining, so then I have to make her come inside and chill out.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Water Junkie

Yes and no. Blaze can and will go till he drops. It really depends on how into it he is and the heat, stress, fun, etc all play a big part. But he does give warning signs, which is nice.

Generally when we're playing ball when he stops dropping the ball when he brings it back to you that means he's tired. He won't quite, but it's his sign that he's tired.

When we're training in obedience, he again won't quite, but when he stops taking commands promtly and with ease (or he's getting confused easily) that means he's about had all his brain will take. Usually about 30/45 or so minutes of steady training.

During swimming/jumping when his jumps go sour, that means he's over heated and exhausted. We practiced dock diving for a good straight 45 minutes last summer at a pool we rented and by the end of that 45-ish minutes he was TIRED. We took a two hour break and when he came back he was fully charged and ready to go.

Lizzie on the other hand has *ZERO* heat tolerance. When we were doing agility lessons with her it was a pain because she would only go 5/10 minutes then her brain would shut down because she was getting too hot. She definitely knows her limits and will tell you.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l