Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Agility freak!

Default Does your dog know his or her limits?

Just a question I'm wondering after having just had Psyche out for a good game of chuckit. She was still going even when she was snorting at me, and her tongue was like a mile long. I had gone out with the intention of letting her decide when we were done, but I had to stop her because she was just too hot.

So does your dog know when to call it quits? I always thought Psyche was pretty good at knowing when enough was enough, but I guess not.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Chloe does...

when we play fetch or frisbee, when she has had enough, she will stop and go lay down somewhere lol
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Plus One

Nope. Tika once collapsed on me when I was 9-10 because I wasn't very good at reading her and I thought she would stop when she got tired. I've never managed to get the others to their limit although I very nearly did one day with Fudge but I obviously stopped then.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Agility freak!

Psyche's STILL panting and acting all "goofy". Usually when she's done she'll go lay down, but I don't think she was paying attention to how hot it is today.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Depends on the day. Sometimes Morgan will tell me when he's done (just give the toy back and wander off to lie down), and sometimes he's a crazed maniac animal that JUST. CANNOT. STOP!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM
woop

Most of the time Pit's pretty good at calling quits when he's done, except when it comes to water and swimming. I need to drag him out when he starts shaking uncontrollably. Skinny toller doesn't have much insulation!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Chloe is good at calling it quits. When we play fetch in the yard and she gets tired, she'll refuse to bring the toy back and just go lay down somewhere. She gives off signals before hand, too, so I can typically tell when she's reaching "that point" and we just end it before it gets to there.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Resident fainting goat

I always LOL when I see people post things like "You've gotta make sure your dog rests and doesn't run himself to the point of exhaustion"
because that is totally unfathomable to me. Romeo will literally just lie down or head home when he has had enough of something lol sometimes he will even lie down half way to getting the ball.

My moms dog, if FORCED to walk even a little bit more than one lap around the park will plant his butt down, slip out of the collar, bark at the doorman and stand in front of the elevator like "HOME. NAO." lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

For Bates, that would be a resounding NO. That dog does NOT know when he's tired or hurt.
Breez is not quite as extreme but will still not stop unless really hurt. Once spent an afternoon romping around on a sliced up paw and I had no idea. Put her in the car to come home and it was a bloodbath in there and I STILL didn't know which dog was hurt because she wasn't limping. That evening though she brought on the drama big time LOL.

The other two are huge babies
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
I always LOL when I see people post things like "You've gotta make sure your dog rests and doesn't run himself to the point of exhaustion"
because that is totally unfathomable to me. Romeo will literally just lie down or head home when he has had enough of something lol sometimes he will even lie down half way to getting the ball.

My moms dog, if FORCED to walk even a little bit more than one lap around the park will plant his butt down, slip out of the collar, bark at the doorman and stand in front of the elevator like "HOME. NAO." lol
Dogs, like children (or adults for that matter) don't always have perfect judgment when it comes to what's good for them. To test this theory, why not present your dog with a large chocolate cake and then leave the room for an hour, lol.

I've seen dogs over exhaust themselves in New York dog runs in the summer. Sometimes the body doesn't warn you until it's too late.

Find out more about my New York City Dog Walkers
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter