Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:33 PM
PitBullLove's Avatar
PitBullLove PitBullLove is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 856
Default Dog Training & Dog Behavior Books? Also information on rescues...

I've been looking for good books on dog behavior, dog training, dog rehabilitation, training fearful dogs, etc. I like learning about it and eventually would like to have a pit bull rescue, but for now I want to buy some GOOD books and read up and learn as much as I can, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions that I could buy from Amazon? I would love suggestions for pit bull books too, if I haven't read them all already!

And on the rescue/shelter note for anyone who has experience with it...how hard is it to get a 501(c)(3) organization & how expensive is it? Any books on what it takes to start an animal rescue, any advice? What kind of experience should I get so I will be able to get a job at an animal shelter in the future (things that will look good on my resume?) Of course I wouldn't be trying to even start a rescue until about 10 years from now, but I'd like to get educated until then (I'm one of those people ) And I would really like to get a job working with animals in the next year or two (working in fast food right now ), but obviously with the economy it's going to be tough so I need advice of what kind of things I could have on my resume that would make getting a job with animals easier, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
I've been looking for good books on dog behavior, dog training, dog rehabilitation, training fearful dogs, etc. I like learning about it and eventually would like to have a pit bull rescue, but for now I want to buy some GOOD books and read up and learn as much as I can, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions that I could buy from Amazon? I would love suggestions for pit bull books too, if I haven't read them all already!
What have you read already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
And on the rescue/shelter note for anyone who has experience with it...how hard is it to get a 501(c)(3) organization & how expensive is it?
I don't have experience myself, but my friend tried to do it a few years ago and found it too difficult/expensive. I think she ended up just parterning with another rescue group and 'using' their 501(c)(3) status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
What kind of experience should I get so I will be able to get a job at an animal shelter in the future (things that will look good on my resume?)
IME, the best way to get a job at a shelter/rescue is to start out volunteering there. I know at my organization, before we even advertise a job opening, we offer it to our volunteers first.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 PM
PitBullLove's Avatar
PitBullLove PitBullLove is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
What have you read already?
I haven't read very many books on it, actually. I've just bought breed encyclopedias and basic training books (which all say the same thing). I've read the book "Smarter Than You Think" and my dad bought me the Cesar Millan books, which I do not like and I didn't finish any of them after I read the first few chapters. I have at least 10 pit bull books, and just ordered a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I don't have experience myself, but my friend tried to do it a few years ago and found it too difficult/expensive. I think she ended up just parterning with another rescue group and 'using' their 501(c)(3) status.
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I looked up the 501(c)(3) form and it looks very difficult to fill out and get approved, which is predictable I guess. How did she go about partnering with this rescue group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
IME, the best way to get a job at a shelter/rescue is to start out volunteering there. I know at my organization, before we even advertise a job opening, we offer it to our volunteers first.
That's a good idea. The shelter I was at yesterday said the same thing, they also said something about going to school to be a "Kennel Tech".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Raegan's Avatar
Raegan Raegan is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fond du Lac, WI
Posts: 408
Default

I would start with Patricia McConnell's works. Definitely "The Other End of the Leash" and "For the Love of a Dog" plus her shorter booklets on specific issues (Feisty Fido, Cautious Canine, etc).

Suzanne Clothier's "Bones Would Rain from the Sky"

Brenda Aloff's "Canine Body Language, A Photographic Guide"

Turid Ragaas' "Calming Signals"

And anything from Dogwise.com that looks interesting.

Quote:
they also said something about going to school to be a "Kennel Tech".
Personally, and this is just my gut talking, I would be wary of any place that is going to certify you as a kennel tech. It just feels like a scam to me. Some more reputable options are agricultural/tech schools for animal husbandry or some kind of agricultural management, or a degree in biology, or an advanced degree in applied animal behavior, depending on your desired level of schooling (in rough order of increasing magnitude)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site