Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Ozzy we went and got from a newspaper ad at six weeks. We're his first and only home.

Enzo was purchased by some relatives as a puppy, then when she hit 9 months old and the wife got pregnant, they decided she was too much. So we're her second home.

Frankie came from some relatives in the country who don't spay or neuter their pets, we got him at around 5 weeks old as a flea infested malnourished kitten. We're his only home, and he's ten.

Albus, my brother decided on a whim to get his girlfriend a kitten (great idea, right?! ) and he lived with my brother for a few weeks before he started terrorizing his dog, and so I took him. So technically his second home, but sort of not really. He was picked out of a box of kittens outside of walmart and my brother was told he was seven weeks old. He's about one and a half, maybe two now. I'm terrible at keeping up with the cats birthdays.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Just try me..

We got Kaiden from his breeder
Dekka has been mine since conception, same with Kat.
Dash and Bounce came from a breeder.

Sport was born in a shelter and he was adopted and returned once, adopted out, neglected and turned over to BC rescue and then we got him.

Solo has been here so far his whole life, but I would imagine when the right home comes along he will be gone.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
love herds

Around here I would guess the number is pretty high. Of our dogs:
Beau- We where his second home, the first people bought him from a puppy mill/horrible byb and then realized he was a dog and not a stuffed animal and as such needed to be taken care of.
Sadie-We are her first and only home
Desoto- First and only home
Duke- At least his third. He was dropped off for reasons unknown, adopted out, returned for being 'too active' and then we adopted him.

Cats (Bells, Runt, Frankie, and Princess) where all dropped off so we where likely their second owner (people used to drop off cats like crazy where we lived up until 2 years ago as it was the first farm off the highway and near the city) Except for Runt, Frankie was pregnant when we found her and he was too sick to re-home so I kept him.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Maddie's first and only home. Got her straight from the breeder.
Bailey, I'm her second home I believe. Her former owners gave me vet papers that dated back to her puppyhood. She's two now.
Izzy, 1st home
Isaac & Ivana - 2nd home

and as for my 'rents animals (I'll list them because they're techincally in the same house)
Missy was in two homes, and then a pound before me and Dad went to adopt her Her second home she was an outside dog only...
Miya... who knows. Another pound dog, they got her when I moved out, so I don't know any details.
Phoebe's from MI... She was my counsin's friends dog, then my cousin took her in when they were moving and couldn't keep her, but she knew she wasn't going to be able to keep her long term. Then my Mom took her in.
And Spud, was born here, adopted, and they returned him because they were moving... but he is not staying here, just until she finds a good home for him.
She also has parakeets, they're all "rescues". Friends and family give them to her as if she were a sanctuary lol. Most of them are 3rd and 4th home and fairly old

I'd say that the #s were pretty high in my area, I know MANY people who think pets are disposable, and just about all of my "dog people" friends(in my area( have pets they took in from other people for one reason or another :/

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Plus One

Tika- Second/ third home
Ozzy- Second/ third home
Fudge- Second home ... and he was an 8 week old puppy They took him at 7 weeks and only kept him 5 days! Who could not love Fudge?!?!?
Taz- First
Scamp- First
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Squishy face

We're Daisy's first and only home.

I'm pretty sure we were Benji's second home. We found him at 7 or 8 months old.

We are at least Siam's second home. We got her from some crazy cat lady rescuer person who had a lot of cats in her home. I don't really count the cat lady's house as a "home" since Siam and her late buddy Ashten spent all their time hiding on the top of the kitchen cabinets from the kids, and I'm pretty sure the lady took them in from whoever had them before with the intention of rehoming.

Petey the cat was born in a shed, and then went to the Fauquier SPCA, and was there until we adopted him at around 5 months old. I guess you could say we were his first home, since the shed doesn't really count as a "home", and the SPCA wasn't a home either.

Pepper the guinea pig was given to me for free from some lady who didn't realize how fast piggies can breed. I am her first home.

Leo the guinea pig came from a shelter. I am his second home, at least. Who knows if he had others before ending up at the shelter.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Of the pets I have now...
Rosey: We got her after she was found on the street, so I guess I am technically her first home (it was less than a day she was with the person who found her).

Rascal: 2nd home that I know of. Old owner's boyfriend was moving in and needed room for his pirahna tank.

Renegade (and Rogue): 2nd home. Old owner realized she was not giving them the attention they deserved, so asked me to take them.

Harley: 2nd home I know of. Her and her cage mate Bandita were surrendered to the rescue when the owners were moving to Australia.

I think you see breeder dogs being rehomed less because, generally, it is going to be very private that they were rehomed, they go back to the breeder as opposed to the shelter.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Marley and Ivy are both one home only dogs. Marley we got at 12 weeks from a shelter, Ivy at 16 from a breeder.

Both cats were rescues, Fiona we are her first home, Odin his second.

Rats all were rescue...but got them as babies so we are their first homes too (they were born in the rescuers home)

Some of our chickens are on their second home, we took them in for various reasons from other people (moving, divorce, etc)

My two previous dogs, Ed was a rescue from the shelter as a pup. Kali, poor Kali...I was her at least 4th home at 1 1/2 years old...she had been returned to the shelter three times before I got her, who knows what happened before then. I didnt do much better, kept her with a friend for awhile, the she lived at my dads, then with my at my moms until I moved in with now DH.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Top Dog

I always find this fascinating!

I think my aunt is the only one who has done the rehoming thing alot. She had a Rottweiler and was his second home, when she moved to the city, she had to give him up. She took in an older Pit Bull who lived his last 5yrs or so with her. She also took in my uncle's Siberian Husky since his work schedule changed, but she was still in the family since she was a pup (8weeks). Oh and her current Pit Bull, Max, is 8 and she's had him since a pup but he did have one previous owner for a few weeks when he was really tiny.

Hmm...
Jackson- I'm his 1st home and he will be staying!
Lilly - my dads, they got her at 7 weeks old, and she will be staying, unfortunately, LOL
Buddy- my dads, he actually was a rescue. I think he had 3 other homes before us and was only 1.5yrs old when we adopted him.
Silka- grandma's dog has been there since 8 weeks, she's around 9 now, I think?

I won't list them ALL out... but most of the dogs in our family were there from pups and then grew old with us.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Sam they found as a stray at ten months, but he most likely was dumped or escaped from a previous home. I highly doubt he was born on the streets.

Lillie we got at two months I think, were her first home, and she's here to stay. Even if she's a pain in the butt sometimes :P

Aui was given up to a cat shelter by his previous owners, so were his second home. He was three when we got him.