Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Puppy Dog

hehe good luck i'm glad you are going for it, i suggest you write it down for them then they can't just forget it and you wont have to repeat yourself, maybe also print out some evidence supporting your training methods so thay dont just do what they think is best, and i hope you have a great trip
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like an exciting trip. You're going to love it and have a wonderful time.

I think if you put it to them in a non-confrontational way, but in a way that makes it look like you are also thinking about them and their ease of caring for your dog, it will go a long way. It's better not to put them on the defensive. If you explain as if your dog is unique....very sensative and you're working so hard to train her and have come a long way and here are some ideas to make your time with my dog easier on you.....bla bla bla. LOL. If Lee is a nice person and is good to you, then I'm sure his parents couldn't be that bad or he wouldn't have turned out so nice.

Quote:
I am such a "anti-confrontation" person, I always try and please everyone.
I have been that way too, believe it or not. I've come around a little bit but I had to realize that it is not so much to please the other people, but it was really to please myself...to make other people like or accept me more.... and that's narcissistic and not a good reason. So, I've been working on it too. You just have to state your mind in a nice way, but make your opinions known. They count.

Good luck and don't worry. You will have a wonderful trip!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.
hehe good luck i'm glad you are going for it, i suggest you write it down for them then they can't just forget it and you wont have to repeat yourself, maybe also print out some evidence supporting your training methods so thay dont just do what they think is best, and i hope you have a great trip

thats a REALLY good idea...definately write it out...make it really easy to read...short bulleted statements...it should help a TON...

tell them if they yell at shadow, she'll bite them, lol

and also, while yes, they should understand that their method is incorrect...if they are those people who refuse to understand that...then i actually wouldnt insult their way...say something acknowledging that you know they treat their dog differently than you do, and you arent asking them to change that, but since they are watching YOUR dog, to treat her in the ways that you have so nicely written down You dont want them to get insulted, and make them decide that "hey, we are gonna try OUR methods on shadow, and therefore 'prove' they work" ya know? haha i hope that made sense

Thanks Jessie!

Old 10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

Hey that sounds good Andy and Dreeza!