Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default How much does pet cremation usually cost?

I didn't want to derail the thread about whether or not you would keep the ashes, etc... but I'm curious.

I've never had any of my pets cremated in the past. All the pets that we've had growing up that my parents have had euthanized, they just left the body there and I have no idea what happened afterwards.

I'm not willing to do that with my dogs. Hopefully it will be a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time coming before I ever am faced with something like this, but I'd like to have a little money set aside so that when the time does come I can pay for a private cremation and keep the ashes.

So here's my question... how much does a private cremation usually cost? How much for a mass cremation? I'm sure the price varies from place to place, but I'm just curious what a general ballpark price would be.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
<------RIP Superdog

It depends on the weight. For a general cremation at my clinic (not ashes back) it is like 100-150$-ish. For a private cremation (ashes back) it varies from 200-300$. We use a wonderful company that picks the pets up and cremates them at their facility then gives the ashes back to us. We do not do it at my clinic, and noone is our area does either.

Last edited by Bigpoodleperson; 06-19-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I haven't had to do this with a large pet, but I've had cremation services done with a couple rats and a sugar glider. I think it was about $80 for each of them... maybe more for Penn (suggie) because we actually had him returned to us in a nice wood box. I'm sure that larger animals would cost more, but how much I just don't know.

That said, I think it also depends on where you are. I am pretty sure that our vet offers a discount for cremation services (even though cremation is a private company) if the pet has been a regular client at the clinic. However, I still don't know what the prices are for cats/dogs, and like you... I hope I don't have to find out anytime soon...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
overdogged

Our prices are similar to what bigpoodleperson posted. We also send them out. We didn't when I first started working there, but then the chimney of the crematorium fell down, and the decision was made to send them out. They are done much more promptly now, and the ashes come back in nice wooden boxes.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
orange iguanas.

With Molly it was about $200. 65 pound dog, private cremation.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Also keep in mind these are just the cremation costs. It doesnt include (for us at least) the doctors time, sedation, euthanasia costs.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Lord Cynical

Ronin's cremation was private, and it cost me $225. They were nice and rounded down his weight, so he could have the "up to 74lb" price instead of the "over 75lb" price. He came home in a cheap (but nice) plastic box and a little gold charm that they include with every private cremation. (It's a broken heart - one piece is with you, the other piece is in the bag with the cremains.)

He was cremated at LovingRest, and I drove him there myself. LovingRest also picks up from local vet clinics, as they're the only crematory in the area that does pets. I'm not sure how much their mass fees are, as I'd never do a mass cremation with my own pets.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM
On second thought...

With my cat it was $75 to get Figaro back.

It would only have been $25 if I didn't want the ashes back.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Behavior Nerd

Maggie's was $190 and she came back to me in a wooden box. The specialty clinic uses a local service so I picked her up at their place instead of going back to the vets', which was helpful as I don't think I could've stepped thru those doors without crying so soon after.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

Here it's in the $250 runge for private cremation with ashes returned if you go with the pet cremation people. The humane society does private cremations too for less. Nass cremation without ashes returend is around $20 - we call animal control, baag the animal, and put them outside the door for AC to pick up- sometimes they come with hours, sometimes days...once well over a week. There's no way I could do that with my dog.