Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Active Pup

Default jack russel breeding

hello everyone.my auntie has a female jack russell and is interested in breeding from her but as a novice has some questions.
1 what age is recommended for the first litter
2 what to do when in season
3 is there a tablet to stop the dog being in season
any help would be much appreciated. cheers rick.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Have her get the book " How to Raise a Puppy You can Live With " Rutherford and Neil. She should wait until the female is 2 yrs old ( at least ) .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Also, she needs to make sure that the dog has all proper health testing done to make sure she is breeding quality.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

All that's in the book....plus why NOT to breed. I figure she has a year or so to read up.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Why would she want to breed her female? Is she planning on selling the pups? Has she done all the testing? It seems to me that if she has questions on how to breed or when to breed etc., she shouldn't be breeding. That is just my opinion which is based on how many dogs are looking for good homes right now I just think it's silly to add more to find homes for.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Have her read through this before breeding. It should answer her questions...

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/me...info/whelping/
Old 10-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Active Pup

thanks for your replies if they were positive.yorkie lover you've got to be from the uk with that negative attitude,i didnt ask are there any people who want to moan
Old 10-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

I am not from the UK I'm from right here in the U.S. where thousands of dogs are being put to sleep because of the overpopulation of dogs. When I see someone asking questions on how to breed etc. it just upsets me because obviously they don't have a clue and definitely shouldn't be contributing to the overpopulation...
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

The only thing a jack needs under the kennel club to be tested for is juvenile cataracts, some breeders also like to do hip tests while others don't as the condition is quite rare in the breed. Most breeders here will breed form the third heat onwards, small dogs like JRT are fully grown by the age of 1 year. Your friend needs to do a lot of research on breeding first, as they shouldn't even consider breeding if they don't know about heat cycles, then there are lots of other things to think about first, such as the cost and time involved and also the fact that you could loose the dog. So the first thing your friend needs to think about is, is her dog the standered has the dog proved that she is the standered by winning shows etc. Now there are also people who breeds JRT's as working dogs, In my opinion these dogs should still be tested for health and temperment, but dont need to be the perfect standered.

Also what type of JRT has she got, because things will be different with each type, also where does the person live as things are different here in the UK than in the states
Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Puppy Dog

A good book for her to get would be- The Whelping and Raising of Puppies a complete and practical guide.
by Muriel P. Lee
Another good book-
Canine Reproduction the Breeders Guide 2nd edition by Phyllis A. Holst, MS,DVM

Ezriyah