Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default Is this overpriced?

I've been keeping an eye out for a Maltese pup for my mom. She had a gorgeous show-quality male Maltese in college that she absolutely adored, and has been pining for another one for a very long time. She's getting ready to retire soon, so I figure now would be a good time to start making arrangements with a good breeder. I know how long those wait lists can be!

I found a breeder in a neaby city who looks good, and I was extremely impressed by her dogs and how much she knows about them. All her breeding dogs are champions, and she does a lot of showing. All the dogs are absolutely gorgeous!

Here's my question: Her prices! For a pet quality female puppy (with limited registration and spay/neuter agreement) the price is $2,500 to $3,500. Is this overpriced for pet quality maltese, or the norm? If this is the norm, I guess I'll just bite the bullet.

Last edited by Gempress; 10-24-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Oh gosh you love your mom lol

I can't help you, the best I can advise is to look around at other breeders and see how much they charge, that's pretty steep...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:37 AM
GSDGurl

For a Pet quality Maltese on a Spay agreement that is pricy.Here they go for $1500 or less but More for Show Potential.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Walks into Mordor

LoL, it's not just me. My sister and father will also be pitching in. (Dad's paying the lion's share, though). The problem is that my mom's last maltese was drop-dead gorgeous, and she has her heart set on one of the same quality.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:56 AM
GSDGurl

Are there some other breeders within 2-4 hours.Call them to see what they charge just to compare.Just make sure she is comfortable to talk to whichever breeder is chossen.Its important to be able to talk to the Breeder if need be down the Line.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

Ouch!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Are you dead yet?

...$2500 to $3500 for a PET?! That's insane.

Why don't you ask the breeder why she charges so much for her pets? I fully understand paying up to $3-4,000 for a show prospect, but that is -very- steep for a pet quality puppy that will be spayed or neutered. What does she have that other reputable breeders don't, that warrants her charging such high prices for her pets?

Then again, I'm not involved with Maltese, looked at them a lot and know the standard but I didn't get far enough along in the breed to start finding out how much dogs sell for. I'm more involved with Paps and Cavaliers -- Both are rather "pricey" breeds but I have yet to find a pet quality Pap or Cav from a reputable breeder costing more than $1500.

And you do love your mom, lol.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

If she doesn't want to "show" the dog and only wants a pet/companion why not check out petfinder.com, there are so many in rescue/foster that need homes? I'm sure you could find one for a whole lot less and a beautiful one at that. And, yes I think the cost she is quoting you is absolutely insane.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Quigleyfied

gempress - not sure if you have seen this before, but it might be of interest.

http://malteseonly.com/
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

She may not even be up to a pup !! Why not go rescue, get a great dog and have it groomed to the 'nth degree with bows before giving it to her.