Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Active Pup

Default Dante, Foxhound?

Greetings,
So I'm fully aware that my dog may not, and likely is not a pure-bred dog. That being said, he does resemble several different breeds of dog, in particular the english foxhound, lemon colored. Dante is ~1 year old +/- a month, and my gf and I found him wandering the streets of Ottumwa, Iowa. Then, he was approximately 15 pounds and probably 9 inches at the whithers. After a lengthy search to locate his owner, we decided to keep the little guy. Today, he stands 22 inches at the whithers and weighs in at 55 lbs. Here are some photos:

This was the little hound back when we found him.

Some more recent pics

Anyways, there are some clues to his pedigree based on the fact no one wanted to claim the little guy. Breeds such as Harriers and english foxhounds would be quite rare in Ottumwa, Iowa, and would be worth quite a bit. While there are large beagles, a 22 inch 55 lbs specimen would be quite unheard of. I feel that he is likely not american foxhound based on his square head shape. Which I find quite different from the american breed, which I see more traits from the Grand Bleu de Gascogne. That being said, most of my experience with Americans is mostly based on the popular walker coonhound. From what I have seen, lemon is also much more common in the english foxhound than in the american. Please feel free to offer me some of your thoughts. I'm very interesting in finding out what exactly my little guy is.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

All the breeds you mentioned aren't all that popular. Honestly, I think you have a Lab mix. Something about his head and face in the last two shots reminds me of a Jack/Parson Russel Terrier. I think I see some Beagle, too. He's a cute fellow.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Active Pup

That has always been a definite possibility, given their popularity. I actually get quite a few comments on his resemblance to the RCA dog.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Just try me..

I don't see any JRT to be honest. He does look like a fox hound. I would guess a hound cross of some kind. Around here a fox hound wouldn't be all that rare a breed.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM
*Now with Snark*

I'd have him pegged as a yellow lab/dal cross but that's all I see
Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Just try me..

A yellow lab dal cross? Umm not if they were purebreds. The parti markings don't come from either dals or labs. And the yellow of a lab is different from the lemon in many breeds (all labs are genetically yellow)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
*Now with Snark*

Funny enough the spots do look like other lab/dal mixes I have met. I was mainly going off of size/shape rather than color. I guess catahoula cur mix could also be a possibility, the small end lines do tend to run down by the 50's and they do come in just about any color.

Do you need to know the mix for something Dante?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Lab/hound mix.

Or something totally different - sometimes you simply can't tell. My dog has 5 different breeds in her (that I know of) - so could well be anything.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Active Pup

Oh there is no real need to know his origins. He's a dog with a great temperament and healthy with very little problems thus far. Its a mere matter of curiosity shared by my girlfriend and I. I will say that he bays like a hound, deep and reverberating. Another thing that led me to think he's part hound has been his feet. They are quite tight and small unlike a labs. But of course I just wanted to welcome what other people see (esp. if its something I haven't yet).
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I guess catahoula cur mix could also be a possibility, the small end lines do tend to run down by the 50's and they do come in just about any color.
A lot of individual pieces remind me of Meg, who is a Mountain Cur - the feet and ear shape/carriage especially. Even the body shape to an extent, although Dante's face is much longer than hers. I wouldn't be shocked if there was some breed of Cur in there.