Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Big Dog

I am in BC so not very far -- I recommend our herding trainer, Diana Gauthier. Her dogs have great temperaments and they're real stock dogs. She works them on her farm. Her dogs have several herding Ch's. At the Calgary stampede she has won the World's Championship Stock dog competitions more than once. Here is her site: Keen-Eye Stockdogs Breeding and training of working border collies and stockdogs. Lumby, British Columbia, Canada
There's another breeder here that uses her lines. I don't know much about her but I drive past her place when I go to agility and she is often out working her dogs on the sheep (she also teaches herding lessons).
HOME PAGE

Have to agree with the majority here about titles; Some of the most herding titled dogs I know of (seriously ALOT of titles, and ALOT of firsts for not just their breed but all breeds) were trained by the use of shock collars, and when trialled wear heavy "dummy" collars to keep them in control. If one was looking at titles, they'd think they were getting a spectacular herding prospect. To know that a dog works a farm/ranch and the owner depends on them to work, THAT is the best way to know if it's a good working dog IMO.
Same goes for any other performance events; I know of National BISS winners that don't even deserve to be Chs. Heavily agiltiy titled dogs that would rather bite someone's arm off.. etc. Titles look pretty but they are terribly decieving.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Taxiderpy

BB, have you ever been out to Ewe-Topia or Fido's Farm? You might go out some time to observe dogs working and talk to some of the owners of dogs you like to find out where they came from.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Meh, I wouldn't rule a working BC breeder out because they don't title their dogs. Just like I wouldn't rule out a sighthound breeder who didn't title their dogs but hunted them. A great ranch and/or farm dog can be worth it's weight in gold and you can't typically tell that from title, herding or not because most of the time the real ranch/farm work doesn't have much in common with trials so titles don't really help prove breeding quality for those types of dogs.

For that second breeder I think the most telling thing would be to have them get you in contact with people who've gotten their dogs and gone off to compete in trialed events.

But I hope the third breeder emails you back since you seem to like them the best! Personally, since I'm allergic to contracts that was the first thing I liked about them

Hope some of the BC chime in with some more suggestions for you breeder wise
I think I love you!

This is so funny - I was literally just (like 30 seconds ago) talking to my mom about this. She wondered why more English Shepherd people don't show their dogs UKC Conformation - I said I figured it was because people valued a working, conformed to stay sound ES more than one that does well in the ring. I then brought up that I don't even see many English Shepherds with stock dog titles, and that most breeders just use them around their own farm. I don't hold it against the breeder or the dogs at all. If a dog shows no interest in stock, or has so much prey drive it can't be trusted on stock, any decent breeder that uses their dogs wouldn't WANT to use them in their breeding program. In the latter's case it probably wouldn't even stay on the farm.

Regarding the agility, I think it depends on the circumstances. If they've been involved in agility for years and years, trialed lots of dogs, done well, maybe judged, but have life circumstances (injury, kids, etc) than prevent them from trialing a dog I'm inclined to take their word for it that the dog is say sufficiently athletic and drivey and would do well. If it's someone who has no formal agility training that runs their dogs over some jumps every once in awhile, not so much.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Sorry I don't have anything of use to add but....Oh my GAWD, her puppies are gorgeous.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post

Regarding the agility, I think it depends on the circumstances. If they've been involved in agility for years and years, trialed lots of dogs, done well, maybe judged, but have life circumstances (injury, kids, etc) than prevent them from trialing a dog I'm inclined to take their word for it that the dog is say sufficiently athletic and drivey and would do well. If it's someone who has no formal agility training that runs their dogs over some jumps every once in awhile, not so much.
This is so true. I get annoyed by breeders, rescues or people trying to home/sell a dog who swear its a fantastic agility prospect but have no experience with the sport. (Or who have only trialled one dog even though they have owned many)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquityBelgians View Post
I am in BC so not very far -- I recommend our herding trainer, Diana Gauthier. Her dogs have great temperaments and they're real stock dogs. She works them on her farm. Her dogs have several herding Ch's. At the Calgary stampede she has won the World's Championship Stock dog competitions more than once. Here is her site: Keen-Eye Stockdogs Breeding and training of working border collies and stockdogs. Lumby, British Columbia, Canada
There's another breeder here that uses her lines. I don't know much about her but I drive past her place when I go to agility and she is often out working her dogs on the sheep (she also teaches herding lessons).
HOME PAGE

Have to agree with the majority here about titles; Some of the most herding titled dogs I know of (seriously ALOT of titles, and ALOT of firsts for not just their breed but all breeds) were trained by the use of shock collars, and when trialled wear heavy "dummy" collars to keep them in control. If one was looking at titles, they'd think they were getting a spectacular herding prospect. To know that a dog works a farm/ranch and the owner depends on them to work, THAT is the best way to know if it's a good working dog IMO.
Same goes for any other performance events; I know of National BISS winners that don't even deserve to be Chs. Heavily agiltiy titled dogs that would rather bite someone's arm off.. etc. Titles look pretty but they are terribly decieving.
I definitely don't mind the travel, but I'm wondering if there would be any special rules as far as bringing dogs across the border?

I have to say, I almost died when I saw the puppies from Keen-Eye stock dogs! *squee* lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
BB, have you ever been out to Ewe-Topia or Fido's Farm? You might go out some time to observe dogs working and talk to some of the owners of dogs you like to find out where they came from.
I have not been, I was looking at both places and t looks like Fido'sFarm is not too far at all! I'll definitely go take a look! Thanks!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

GOd, I don't know what I'm going to do! I'm dying over here, I wish SO MUCH I could get my BC pup NOW! >_< I am having such horrible puppy fever right now. Border Collie Puppy Pictures are just not doing it right now, I need help.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I definitely don't mind the travel, but I'm wondering if there would be any special rules as far as bringing dogs across the border?

I have to say, I almost died when I saw the puppies from Keen-Eye stock dogs! *squee* lol

I have not been, I was looking at both places and t looks like Fido'sFarm is not too far at all! I'll definitely go take a look! Thanks!!
Lots of us do it Maf's Smudge was born in the US, as were Dash and Bounce. Wash was born here and now lives with Xpeanx in the US. They need rabies to cross the border, and to be legal you have to declare the puppy and pay extra $$ (though sometimes not much, it depends on the value of the puppy)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
This is so true. I get annoyed by breeders, rescues or people trying to home/sell a dog who swear its a fantastic agility prospect but have no experience with the sport. (Or who have only trialled one dog even though they have owned many)
+2

Can't say how many times I've been told X dog is a PERFECT agility prospect because he jumps high/runs fast (in their opinion relative to what they are used to), is high-energy...only to discover the dog has horrible structure, has virtually no interest in people or anything they have to offer, etc...

I mean yeah most dogs can get around a course given sufficient training but that doesn't make them potential agility standouts...

/steps off soapbox

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Lots of us do it Maf's Smudge was born in the US, as were Dash and Bounce. Wash was born here and now lives with Xpeanx in the US. They need rabies to cross the border, and to be legal you have to declare the puppy and pay extra $$ (though sometimes not much, it depends on the value of the puppy)
Importing means you likely need to pay taxes, duty, possibly extra fees if flown rather than driven. It's based on the value of the dog.. You could lie if the value is high, but if you are caught you could pay 25-80% of the dogs value potentially on top of the fees you were already going to pay.. may not be worth it..

I got hosed with a few random fees not by customs, those fees were low, but by the airline.. they wouldn't explain them to me and held Smudge hostage. It was a terrible experience where they also claimed I assaulted them cause I dropped the debit machine...

Under a certain age they do not need rabies to cross the border, I think it's three months. To make my life easier I had Smudge done before he left as he was 14 weeks.

Importing itself wasn't a hassle really, it was the stupid stuff that happened, including the airline cancelling his connecting flight and not removing him from the plane and the fight that ensued as my breeder demanded he be shipped back as he would be stuck for multiple days in NJ as there were no connecting flights after they cancelled his..

Things that shouldn't really happen were the hassle..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground