Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Are you dead yet?

Laur, I totally think you should. He's delightful. I still really wish I could make it to one of his clinics.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm All Ears

I have heard such FABULOUS things about his dogs from all walks of the border collie world. I think I will email him when it's closer to time. I am very willing to travel for an outstanding pup. Even if he doesn't have anything, maybe he'll have more suggestions.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Are you dead yet?

Eve's breeder raves about him, and he's been an absolute delight to talk to when I've been in touch with him. He's very down to earth, and that's a rare trait in BC people. I'm not going to be ready to add another BC to the household for some time, but when I do, he'll be one of the very first people I contact.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I have a friend into show BCs but she's met quite a few of his dogs and says they're just really stable and wonderful. She has a friend using one as a service dog even. And I've also heard he's just great and easy to talk to. Haven't emailed him myself yet but I will when I'm closer to being ready for a dog.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Water Junkie

What RD and Linds said concerning titles. Spot on.

Here is a list that I've looked at many times. This is just a list of names, I don't know much, if anything, about most of the people on here. You can do more research from there if you see one you like: Border Collie Breeders List

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-10-2011, 05:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Anecdotal but I've actually met a Hidden Valley dog at an agility seminar so spent the day around the dog in a new environment (though agility context). Nice dog, very very "busy" but stable, didn't freak out when on the sidelines, moved beautifully.

Just one dog though and I don't know which breeding she was from. My 2cents.

I think Contact Point is out your way as well if you are going the mostly-sports-route. They supposedly do herding as well but I don't know if that is like..."herding" more to get pics of their dogs on sheep for PR or if they really herd. They have a good rep as solid sport dogs but I haven't met any and don't know what they are like to live with.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
overdogged

there are a couple red top dogs showing in obedience around here. one is stellar, one is really neurotic and dog aggressive, but his owner seems to be pretty neurotic, so i don't know what the source of the dog's issues really is.

steve has red top behind him on his mama's side.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Don't rule them out just because of that! A lot of dane breeders don't put that info on their websites even though they are really good breeders. Hopefully they will be able to answer some of your questions.

Is there a sport or activity that you are interested in? Generally the best way is to attend some events, watch the dogs that interest you and talk to their owners.
Agility mostly, though I'd really like to do a little herding too. But mostly agility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Just so you're aware, Hob Nob is generally considered sport and not working. Have you joined the BC Boards?

You will get a lot further asking on the boards if you really are looking for stock working/trial bred dogs. Yes, there's a lot of politics there but it really is a great resource, particularly if you're looking for that type of dog. I posted on there about rescue dogs and had people more than willing to point me in the direction of working folks that are not too far from me.

Also, try to attend a stock trial if possible! That's what has really really swayed me towards a working style breeder if I go the breeder route. I hope to attend more in the near future.
I know Hob Nob are sports, I am considering both sport bred and working bred.

I have not joined a BC board, though I guess while I'm able to be online I should do that. I was mainly worried about all the politics, and finding a board that I could get some good advice without being constantly a big argument. Any suggestions?

I am planning on going to a stock dog in July (soonest one I could find anywehre near me) and also an agility trial for fun. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Working dogs have absolutely no need for titles, but I would want to see the dogs working. I do agree about agility and other sports, though. If you claim your dog is trained to do agility, why not compete? A dog that does agility for fun is probably a fun dog, but I wouldn't use "he plays agility at home" to validate breeding the dog.

BB, I'm honestly not keen on any of the breeders, but I don't know what kind of dog you are looking for. I'm completely sold on border collies bred for practical farm work or usbcha trialing. I've yet to see a dog bred for stockwork that couldn't absolutely excel at EVERY sport.

How far are you willing to travel, Babyblue? Patrick Shannahan (red top farm) is in Caldwell, Idaho. He is absolutely terrific and his dogs are outstanding as well. He might be a little far for your liking, I'm not sure.

Edited to clarify a point.
For a good puppy, Idaho is not too far! ^_^ I'll take a look at his dogs thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
there are a couple red top dogs showing in obedience around here. one is stellar, one is really neurotic and dog aggressive, but his owner seems to be pretty neurotic, so i don't know what the source of the dog's issues really is.

steve has red top behind him on his mama's side.
Hmmm that's unfortunate to hear. I've run into that problem a lot with the sports lines around here. I will meet one stellar dog then meet another that is crazy aggressive and neurotic. It's really turned me off of the local sports breeders.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm All Ears

The BC boards are very political and very very pro working dogs. THAT said there are some very knowledgeable people there and I've learned loads just reading the boards for the past 2 years. I think it's a great resource for the breed overall.

Last edited by Laurelin; 06-10-2011 at 06:41 PM.