Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Silken Windhounds

I've really been caught in serious sighthound fever it seems. I'm still planning on getting an Ibizan for my next dog. Very set on that in fact. I'm starting to gain a lot more interest in other sighthounds as well and came across a dog that looked so much like a borzoi only smaller. It's called the Silken Windhound. Anyone ever heard of them? I literally just heard about them for the first time last night and I don't know anything about them other than that I think they're absolutely gorgeous. In some pics they sort of remind me of longhaired whippets too.

Has anyone ever met one? Like I said, I'm still getting my Ibizan as my next dog, but I may end up getting another kind of sighthound as well even further down the road so I'm trying to learn about different ones.

Here's a Silken Windhound standing next to a Borzoi so you can see the size comparison

coursing

and of course this thread wouldn't be complete without a couple puppy pics

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Just try me..

I know a few. They are looks wise and size wise the same as the LHW except the more Zoi face and the double coat. They are a good percentage whippet (even though the sites don't say it, but they used W. Wheeler's whippet stock.. which is the same as the LHWs), but are less out going than the whippets.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Yes, I have heard of them and there is a lot of controversy going on with the silken Windhound/Longhaired Whippet debate.

I think they are lovely...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yes, I have heard of them and there is a lot of controversy going on with the silken Windhound/Longhaired Whippet debate.

I think they are lovely...
huh I don't know of any debate really. (at least not with the LHW people, maybe with the ILHW people..) The only thing I have heard is that they closed the stud book too soon and have some health issues, but not in a snarky or debate way... as some of those people still own them.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Top Dog

I met a whole bunch of them last month at a lure coursing trial and have seen a few elsewhere. They act like...sighthounds They are not as primitive as Ibizans or Pharaohs, less independent. At the coursing trial quite a few were outgoing or aloof but I've met a few shy ones too - seems to be the case with most sighthounds. They seem to really enjoy lure coursing. There seems to be an issue keeping them in size though, as some were much larger than Whippets. It's a breed still in development and from websites I have seen, some still have Borzoi fairly close in their pedigrees.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
huh I don't know of any debate really. (at least not with the LHW people, maybe with the ILHW people..) The only thing I have heard is that they closed the stud book too soon and have some health issues, but not in a snarky or debate way... as some of those people still own them.
When I was researching for our next pup (which turned out to be Watson) I came across lots of stuff about both SW and LHW...as with any "new" breed some people had strong opinions about what should and should not have been done About the snarkiest I saw was on a Whippet board. You know the old opinions are like... I was considering a SW myself, but they seemed all to be way south of us.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

The LHW is definitely another one I'm interested in as well and honestly Kerri... I had never even heard of LHW until I first read your posts about yours. I also really like Borzoi as well and I think that's partly why I'm looking into Silken Windhounds since I think they look a lot like smaller Borzoi. I definitely want to do lure coursing for sure. I'm going to be coursing my Ibizan as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Not a Border Collie

I looked at them a bit (not a lot, just a bit of online reading) after finding a super pretty one on Petfinder. I really love the look of them, but that's no surprise as I've always thought Borzois are the most gorgeous dogs ever, LOL.

This dog

is absolutely jaw dropping, oh my gosh. WANT.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Taxiderpy

They have borzoi, Walter Wheeler's stock, and sheltie in them. A lot of folks blame Walter Wheeler's LHW for sheltie, and that's where the controversy comes from. The LHW folks insist their dogs are pure whippet, and everybody else insists not.

Regardless, silkens have an extremely high occurence of the MDR1 gene (drug sensitivity) which is comparatively rare in both purebred borzoi and whippets, but very common in shelties. So sheltie got in there somehow.

Also, some folks have told me it can be a challenge to find venues for lurecoursing with them if that's something you'd like to do competitively. Same deal with LHW though.

I've met a bunch, and really they are very lovely dogs. Pretty typical sight hound temperaments, quiet, sensitive, etc. They all made really good house dogs.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Plus One

I know nothing about them but I just had to echo this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
This dog

is absolutely jaw dropping, oh my gosh. WANT.