Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Active Pup

Exclamation MALTESE TERRIER (mini maltese?)

Hey there people. im new to this forum, im from NSW Australia, and im looking for a breeder to sell me a Maltese Terrirer Puppy ( Male ) as young as possible, Full Breed.. i hear rumours of a breed called Mini Maltese if there is such a breed i would prefer to buy that, Its a Christmas Present for my Girlfriend, so quick replies would be appreciated.. name your price

So to sum it all up this is what i am after:

1) Maltese Terrier (Or a mini Maltese if they exist)
2) Male
3) As young As Legally Possible
4) ASAP - Before December

Thank you for letting me into your community.
(i used to own a maltese terrier, he was so good, and well trained.
atm i own a scottish terrier cross chiwowa, german shepard cross labrador and a striaght up chiwowa hehe, just thought i would let everyone know i know how to take care of dogs.)
Old 10-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Top Dog

If I'm not mistaken, mini-maltese isnt a "real" breed. They're breed by irresponsible breeders who are looking to sell nothing but cute pups and dont care for the health of their dogs. No reputable breeder would even think of selling a mini-maltese, they're just a designer breed. Youre much better off looking for a regular, normal-sized maltese. I mean, they only weigh 6.5-9 pnds, isn't that small enough already?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I don't have a good feeling about this at all.
Why do you want a very young puppy? Your in for more problems with a puppy less then 8 weeks old.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 10-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Active Pup

Default Do you think im Hungry?

lol, why do you have a bad feeling about this? im just saying i want it as young as LEGALLY possible my girlfriend likes puppies and yeah i want it to be a puppy for as long as possible, hence why i like it small, no big deal really, not saying she wont love the dog full grown, but yeah, you know what i mean, i dont wanna buy the dog half way full grown, because we have missed out on half of its life, you know what i mean? i dont know why you would get a bad feeling about this.. im just after a full breed Maltese, i was curious about the "mini maltese" breed because i dont know much about it.

so i s there anyone selling maltese terrier pups??
Old 10-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

Not many people here do any breeding and I don't think the ones that do breed Maltese. Besides a good breeder won't sell their pups online to someone they've never met. You'd be better off looking for a breeder in the area where you live. Also if you find a pup it would be best for it to stay with it mother til it's at least eight weeks old, otherwise it could have issues from being separated too early.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

You don't want to buy from someone that sells"as young as possible". I will never bring a pup home before ten weeks,some breeds twelve. Anything before eight weeks is definately bad. You might also want to get it before or after christmas. Dogs as presents seem to turn out badly. She shuold be the one to pick the dog.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Are you dead yet?

As far as I know, there are no Maltese breeders on this forum. I would contact a local breed club (or the one closest to you.) and ask for breeder referrals.

And FYI, if I were the breeder you had contacted with those kind of requirements, I would have turned you down on the spot. For starters, it is obvious that you have done no research on the breed, or you would know that a "Mini Maltese" is just a fad term and that there is only one size for Maltese. "As young as legally possible" is still too young, imo, to get a puppy, especially a toy breed puppy that will mature far more slowly than other breeds. I wouldn't let go of a toy breed pup until 10-12 weeks, ever. They are still VERY MUCH a pup at that age, they are just more mature and less fragile, and they've had more socialization and the necessary period with their dam and littermates, which will prove to be extremely evaluable to the puppy later in life.
And -you- may know how to take care of a dog, but does your girlfriend? After all, this isn't a puppy for you.

I personally wouldn't buy her a puppy for Christmas.. I don't know why but I get a bad feeling every time somebody buys someone else a dog for a gift, especially when they weren't expecting it.

PS - There is a very good "checklist" on this forum, posted by Pitbulliest. I'd check that out before you go looking for a breeder.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Active Pup

Default Ok then

i dont mean to say i want a pup before its due time, i feel like im being told off here, all i mean by "as young as possible" i mean i dont want it almost full grown, im after a puppy..
Old 10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Fila Love

I have to agree with everyone that has posted. Not before 8 weeks. Preferably 10.
Go for a regular size maltese. The designer breeds have to many health issues. You said she like puppies, but what happens when it becomes an adult? Just wondering. I actually have a friend that loves puppies. Once they become adults she wants nothing to do with them. We have had many discussions about this. Wrong attitude! Getting a dog is a lifetime commitment. Don't mean to burst your bubble. I think you have good intentions.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Active Pup

Default Yes mum

She wants the puppy, she says how she wants one all the time, and i told her id get her one sometime, maybe birthday maybe christmas, im not a child, i know what im doing.. sorry im not Mr. I know everything about dog breeds, i just heards someone talkingabout mini maltese so i thought id bring it up.. thanks for the scolding people..