Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Corgis vs. Border Collies

For those of you who have experience with both, what would you say the main differences are, aside from physical stature of course

TIA

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Corgis are snarkier, they have more feist to them than border collies for the most part. That said most of the border collies I know personally are sporter collies. The corgis I have known are less, "teach me, teach me, teach me!" They'll work for ya but they'd like to know why first, the borders I know get a rush out of the sheer act of training.

I akin corgis more to cattle dogs ime than collie. Others should have more experience though, I'm a sporter who's surrounded by collies and only a fair share or corgis so my view of them may be slightly skewed.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm All Ears

What she said.

Personally I don't find corgis to be at all like border collies or any other collie types. They've got a more cattle dog and spitzy type demeanor to me.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Welll..... corgis look cuter weaving.

Border collies will work for you with little reward other than just working. Corgis need to know there's something in it for them that is of comparable value to the work they are doing. LOL
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

IME most corgis don't come close to having the drive that is common in BCs. We have a rescue corgi who is an exception to that though LOL
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks guys!
Most of you pretty much just confirmed what I was thinking.
One reason I love corgis so much, and a trait that most BCs seem to lack, is the comedian aspect of them. They can be the most silly, comical dogs I have ever met.

Quote:
Welll..... corgis look cuter weaving.
Truth!

Quote:
They've got a more cattle dog and spitzy type demeanor to me.
From the research I've done/read, there is quite a bit of both spitz and cattle dog in their makeup (schipperke, pomeranian, vallhund, etc), and they certainly have the p*ss and vinegar of the two groups, lol.

Quote:
IME most corgis don't come close to having the drive that is common in BCs. We have a rescue corgi who is an exception to that though LOL
I think that really depends on where you get your corgi from.
Corgis SHOULD be drivey dogs, and I've met quite a few who are, but for the most part corgis seem to have gone the show dog route and the BCs you usually see are from sporting/working lines. So it is kind of comparing apples to oranges. If you are going to use working line BCs for comparison, then you need to compare them to working line corgis. Also, show line BCs to show line corgis.

If/when I get another corgi, it will be from lines where the dogs are working (though not necessarily cattle/sheep), because I do want a dog with drive.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Are you dead yet?

Corgis are the feistiest of all the herding breeds, imo. They kinda have to be!

Biggest difference I've noticed is their demeanor. Corgis are less reserved than collie types, who tend to only be goofy around their owners (my personal dog missed this memo, sadly). Corgis have a different sense of humor, too. They might be stand-up comedians while border collies are more like the sarcastic assholes who lurk on the edge of the crowd and mumble dark, snide jokes.

I've never met a working line corgi kept as a pet, so I don't know much about them. I'd like to meet some good working Corgis.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Let it be

Corgis have little man syndrome. What they lack in height they make up in personality.

But seriously I find, generally speaking of course, Corgis to be much less handler soft than a BC.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I think that really depends on where you get your corgi from.
Corgis SHOULD be drivey dogs, and I've met quite a few who are, but for the most part corgis seem to have gone the show dog route and the BCs you usually see are from sporting/working lines. So it is kind of comparing apples to oranges. If you are going to use working line BCs for comparison, then you need to compare them to working line corgis. Also, show line BCs to show line corgis.
There are really no lines of Corgis that are comparable to working line BCs. There are starting to be more sport oriented Corgi breeders but Corgis like so many breeds are either pet or show lines. Some of the most drivey (and IMO functionally built) Corgis I have known were from pet lines.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Active Pup

From what I know (Our neighbor had Corgis, and I have met several on farms, and at dog shows (Agility), and I have owned Border Collies, and have met them in dog shows also (Once again, Agility. I am not into the "Show" animals).

Corgis are loud, they are funny, they don't listen very well, they have a mind of their own. They love their owners, but they don't know the deff. of owner (They seem to have more of a "This here is my close friend, they feed me, they talk to me, and they provide me with shelter, I own the show" attitude from what I have seen, once again tho, I have not really been around a LOT of Corgis, yes I have met several (Probably around 20 or 30), but have not been around as many as Border Collies.
Border Collies are beautiful, they are also funny (Unless it is trained/bred out of them) (I had one who would sit under a picnic table when it rained so that she could catch the rain, and when it snowed she would shove the snow up with her snout so she could catch it. The dogs we have right now will tip the food dish over, and then pick up the food and put it back it the dish), they love to work (No matter the job), they learn easy and fast, and they tend to have a "This here is my boss, I work for room and board, but I have such a nice boss that he(Or she) gives me treats, even when I probably don't need them! And he(Or she) pets me to! And I love it when he(Or she) talks to me about his(Or her) problems, makes me feel trusted!" attitude.

Once again, I have had a lot less experience with Corgis than Border Collies tho.
Also, I HAVE seen some Border Collies who had the "I run the show, this here is my friend" attitude, but very few, and far between, and the ones I have seen that were like that were dogs who had owners that thought they were raising a prince/princess or something obviously, as the dog was treated as ABOVE them-selfs, and their friends/family!