Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
I just don't know whats wrong with me tbh,I think I might have to go to the doctors,I am making it through the day keeping myself busy and just managing to get buy,by the time my boyfriend gets home I'm ready to cry and give up.Her behavior is manageable when she is napping but once she's awake and wants to play she's really hard to control,she wants to run around non stop,she climbs up the sofa to the bed when to many people are present she starts nipping everyone.
I still feel awful,my appetite has not returned,I'm a chubby girl I like LOVE food,I love eating and to not find any enjoyment any more is worrying me.
In terms of the toilet I don't know where else I can put it as I can't leave her cage door open at night??
I'm hoping this DAP makes a difference tonight...
Okay...her being wild like that is her just being a puppy. You have to teach her acceptable behavoir. Right now this will take a lot of your attention. I have to watch what Watson is doing a lot of the time still and he is 6 months. He is a Basenji and that means he is high energy, extremely curious, and at times willfull. When he gets bored I need to find something to entertain him or he finds his own enterainment (like pulling tissues out of the bathroom garbage). You are taking over where Coco's mom and sibs left off...the most important part is that you are consistent in the things you teach her. If it something is unacceptable it is that way all the time and not just when you feel like dealing with the situation. The key here is that with patience, consistency, and training your dog will learn to be a good dog...but right now she doesn't know what you expect of her. You have to gently, positively guide her and show her these things.

I understand anxiety very well. I suffer from anxiety disorder...it sounds like you may want to consult a doctor. If you want to know a little more about it you can pm me I am happy to share my experiences.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Cloudcandy

I can't think to clearly or un biasedly right now....I guess if I read what I've been writing I would probably tell myself that I don't deserve to have a dog,that I've been irresponsible in thinking I could handle this and that I should email the breeder asap,even though it will be a thoroughly shameful experience to tell my friends and family what I've done its the least I can do for her.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
byb stands for back yard breeder.

When you cross breeds you don't get 1/2 all the traits. And because good breeders will strive to keep their dogs from being sold to people who will cross breed/or breed with out health testing etc, typically the dogs being bred aren't terribly good examples of the breed. (not that that is always a bad thing )

My suggestion might not be popular with some.. but can you give the pup back to the breeder? And then go adopt an adult dog who is past the puppy crazy stage. You could go to a shelter or rescue, or you could go to a breeder and adopt a retired breeding dog. That way you know what you are goign to get. Adult dogs are MUCH less stressful.

If you are finding this horribly upsetting ((hugs)) then its not likely going to be good for the puppy. This is not a critism but an observation.

There is NO embarrassment to saying "I am in over my head" One of my JRTs came from a lovely lady who had bought him with the best of intentions (from a byb who then didn't want him back) She rehomed him at 3 months of age because she realized he was too much. He was a great dog for me though
I agree. There is no shame with returning a puppy if you can't handle her. If you find yourself continually not being able to cope, it would be beneficial to the dog to be placed into another home. Adult dogs are much easier than puppies, and many of them are already decently well trained.

I'm one of the oddballs who LOVES puppies. They're my favorite doggy age. lol.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Just try me..

Its not a responsibility thing and DEF not a deserve thing.

You deserve the right dog, one that will be a pleasureable companion. I mean isn't that why we have dogs? This seems far from pleasurable. And while puppies are work, for most people, those who are prepared its predominately a labour of love. Not everyone wants or likes to own puppies. There are quite a few people on this forum who don't really want a puppy, so they adopt/buy adult dogs.

There is no shame in that.

Jessie>> you are weird Puppehs they are the ebil!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
I know! For some reason they don't annoy me or stress me out at all! I guess the cuteness outweighs the tiny sharp bitey teeth and the constant supervision

Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
I can't think to clearly or un biasedly right now....I guess if I read what I've been writing I would probably tell myself that I don't deserve to have a dog,that I've been irresponsible in thinking I could handle this and that I should email the breeder asap,even though it will be a thoroughly shameful experience to tell my friends and family what I've done its the least I can do for her.
Okay...take a deep breath. Try to relax...having a pet is supposed to be a relaxing experience I think you are working yourself up in to an anxiety attack. You need to take a time out and give yourself some space to think. I like Dekka's point that maybe a calm adult dog is a better choice for you. This does not make you a bad person...it just means that maybe a high energy puppy is too much for you. It is far better for both you and the dog if you can admitt these things and do what is best for both of you
Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Just try me..

I always breathe a deep sigh of relief when puppies go to their new homes. And when mine grow up. I LOVE dogs.. puppies not so much.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Haha...Watson is the most ebil of them all
Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Just try me..

I still want a Watson (hmm now I want too, and to call the other one Crick..) but that is cause I want an adult Basenji that I would go through all the ebil...

Surprisingly Bounce and Dash were very ebil puppehs.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Backing up and looking at the big picture, the puppy stage is very short. If you do decide to keep your puppy, she will start behaving more and more like a dog and less like a puppy with every week.