Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My guy is almost 6 months and he wakes us up at 5:30 am pretty much without fail. I was acually surprised when he slept until 6 am this morning. Also keep in mind you have a tiny little dog which means a tiny little bladder

It will get better...I recommend afternoon naps with the puppy if you can get them in. Also a nice walk or good play session before bedtime to make sure she is sleepy will help.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Cloudcandy

I just don't know whats wrong with me tbh,I think I might have to go to the doctors,I am making it through the day keeping myself busy and just managing to get buy,by the time my boyfriend gets home I'm ready to cry and give up.Her behavior is manageable when she is napping but once she's awake and wants to play she's really hard to control,she wants to run around non stop,she climbs up the sofa to the bed when to many people are present she starts nipping everyone.
I still feel awful,my appetite has not returned,I'm a chubby girl I like LOVE food,I love eating and to not find any enjoyment any more is worrying me.
In terms of the toilet I don't know where else I can put it as I can't leave her cage door open at night??
I'm hoping this DAP makes a difference tonight...
Old 05-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
In terms of the toilet I don't know where else I can put it as I can't leave her cage door open at night??
Dogs that learn to potty in their dens often become dirty dogs that are extremely hard to potty train. This is partly why ones coming from pet stores can cause such grief. Their denning instinct has been broken. You'd need a large crate to separate potty from the den, and even then it could backfire.

With a dog that young.. you probably need to set your alarm, and take the dog outside multiple times a night as it is younger than generally recommended to get a puppy.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
Most dogs won't go potty where they sleep, so putting them in their crates is a way to get them to hold it. You'll need to set your alarm during the night then to wake up and take your pup out of her crate, into her potty box, and wait until she goes. If she does, praise the heck out of her!!! (Even consider giving tiny piece of treats to reward her for getting it right). If she doesn't, she goes back in her crate for another couple hours.

Having a puppy is HARD. Personally, I think it sucks and I never again will volunteer to foster a puppy! I remember having serious anxiety when I first brought Lucy home (and she was 3 years old!) I worried that I wouldn't be able to meet her needs in an apartment, that it was too much responsibility, etc. But you know what? I adjusted. It was more of a 2-3 months thing rather than a 2-3 days thing though. It wasn't until I had her enrolled in training classes and we were working TOGETHER instead of against each other at something that I realized I was going to be fine.

That said...it sounds like you have a history of anxiety and panic attacks, so it might be good to go to the doctor for your sake, before you let this spiral further. I wouldn't give up yet though--you have to give yourself time to bond and get into a routine.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Just try me..

Why did you get a high energy puppy if you get upset about a pup running around and being a puppy? What does the breeder say? Do they have any advice (good breeders are excellent resources)

You do leave a pup in their crate with the door closed at night. You keep the door close to your bed so you can hear when it needs to get up. Then you take it outside (or over where you want it to go). That is how you house train a puppy.

Puppies are a lot of work. I am saddened that your breeder didn't question you better and describe what living with a high energy puppy would be like. They are very much like toddler humans, know very little, want to explore everything and no sense of self preservation/safety.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Why did you get a high energy puppy if you get upset about a pup running around and being a puppy?
Why are you asking rhetorical questions that aren't going to advance the situation any?

The OP got a too-young mixed breed puppy from what is fairly obviously a BYB. (Which is something a lot of people on here did when they didn't know better) At this point, questioning why she did things isn't really helpful. Better to suggest ways to tire puppy out mentally and physically so that CC can take some afternoon naps to regain her sanity.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Just try me..

No I realize she likely got from a byb, BUT some byb do try to do well by their dogs. I don't agree with their breeding practices but they could be decent dog people. The OP sounds like she needs some in person help. So I think other than my first somewhat rhetorical question they are valid honest questions.

Some chazzers admit to doing a bit of byb before they knew better, I can't imagine any of them refusing to help a puppy buyer.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Cloudcandy

O lord,whats a BYB?
I'm going to have to change her den around then,her crate is in the same room as us so I assume that is close enough to me?
Dekka I appreciate your question actually,I guess I naivily believed what I had read about jack chi's that are a mix between the layed back chi and an energetic jack russel.
I don't know what i can do now,I'm having a sick feeling that I should'nt own her,I'm too embaressed to tell anyone this in real life and it feels hard to admit.
The worse thing is a dog I've lived with before(Long story I was not responsibe but he was rehomed as my bf(then 19)did not want the responsibilty anymore ...his mum brought him a dog at 14)We didn't get the option to take him in and he was sent to a dogs home,It absolutely broke our hearts,we didnt realise till around 2-3 years later what we had and why we had so willingly let him go.)I know I cant ever do that to a dog again and I'm starting to think how can I trust myself not too?I thought I could and now I'm scared I can't.I don't know what would be worse,giving up now and giving her a chance to have a loving family from day one or to try my hardest only to find out somewhere down the line I can't cope.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Chihuahuas are definitely not laid back. lol. All of mine except for Rylie are pretty much constant energy and have terrier like personalities. It's a common misconception that small dogs are laid back. Just sayin'.

AKC website:

Quote:
Graceful, alert and swift-moving with a saucy expression, Chihuahuas are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated even though small in size.

Chihuahuas are alert dogs with terrier-like qualities. They are good with families if the children are gentle and patient. Because of their small size, they require little exercise and are good city dogs, but can be sensitive to cold temperatures. Smooth coated Chihuahuas need very little grooming due to their short hair. Long coats need occasional brushing but still require minimal grooming.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Just try me..

byb stands for back yard breeder.

When you cross breeds you don't get 1/2 all the traits. And because good breeders will strive to keep their dogs from being sold to people who will cross breed/or breed with out health testing etc, typically the dogs being bred aren't terribly good examples of the breed. (not that that is always a bad thing )

My suggestion might not be popular with some.. but can you give the pup back to the breeder? And then go adopt an adult dog who is past the puppy crazy stage. You could go to a shelter or rescue, or you could go to a breeder and adopt a retired breeding dog. That way you know what you are goign to get. Adult dogs are MUCH less stressful.

If you are finding this horribly upsetting ((hugs)) then its not likely going to be good for the puppy. This is not a critism but an observation.

There is NO embarrassment to saying "I am in over my head" One of my JRTs came from a lovely lady who had bought him with the best of intentions (from a byb who then didn't want him back) She rehomed him at 3 months of age because she realized he was too much. He was a great dog for me though