Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-30-2011, 04:25 AM
Cloudcandy

Smile

Thanks everyone
Felt alot calmer last night even though she squeaked and squeaked at 1am,2am,3am...and woke up at 5am ready to play(maybe because she slept early evening?)
I just got on with it,stroked her and left her to sleep.We brought her back into bed at around 7am to 9am so we could get some quite.Then she woke up and was very very hypa running around jumping on the sofa etc...I tried.to keep her in the pen and kitchen area to allow her to concentrate on her food....that didnt work.In the end we had a cup of tea and she is now sleeping on my lap.
I know some people say u should ignore her cries but firstly we live in flats so I dont want her our neighboirs to go mental and also I dnt want her tramatised....?

Also what would you say is more important to start asap socilaztion or training?Of course I plan to train asap but I have.no treats for her!Will she be bad because I have not started yet?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Just try me..

You want to start soon, but a few days is ok.

Since she is half JRT (a brave woman you are for starting with a JRT cross ) you willl want to get on socialization and training soon. But they two aren't mutually exclusive, I find they both go hand in hand. PLEASE don't give in to all whining, terriers learn quick even this early. Cover her crate with a blanket and see if that will help.

Do they have puppy classes where you are? Classes specifically for puppies under 4-5 months? If so I suggest finding a good one and enrolling.

How much would you say she is eating? She is very tiny and may not need much.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Sounds like you are settling into puppy ownership I agree with the idea of finding a good puppy class (they usually include socialization opportunities for the puppies). I have always found that taking my dogs through puppy classes an invaluable experience for them.

If she is not interested in her food at all maybe offering a different food would be more palatable to her? I agree with Dekka that she is very tiny and may not need all that much food.

As for training treats when you get some. Soft treats that you can tear into tiny bite size pieces work best. Also the smellier the better
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Cloudcandy

Thanks,I will defintly be starting a puppy class asap,Ill probs take her to get her shots tomorow.Ive.made sure shes been doing new things,today we got.a train and met a toddler and experienenced loud music.I think.I'll have to clamp down on the whining,even though it might drive my neighboirs mad!I had to coax her 3 times last night I might practice it during tje day.Tomorow she will need to try and do some training.She seems to be getting used to me and Bf but Im worried she might become very whiny.She squeals and quels at home to jump on the sofa and then climbs to the bed and explores.However she is good at relaxing on our laps so that must be a good sign?
are jack russels thathard to train?I thought a mix would be easier than a full one amd her mother seemed well trained oooooo dear!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Cloudcandy

Thumbs down

Really bad past day,took her out to meet family etc long day later on in the evnibg whilst playing with my sister (aged 11) she bit her(nothin new there i knew to xpect biting etc )but she wouldnt let go and was growlin and shaking her head.My poor sister was sobbing and i didnt know what to do,my sister had to pull her finger out in the end and it bled I felt awful.
Once she was home I had calmed down a bit and me and bf tried to teach her playin games and decided we really need a whole day of this.I did also leave her in her cage to whine and she did eventually hush.Tonight was bad shes been crying all night and im exhausted om starting to feel like "i cant live like this" i dont know what to do....everyone loves her and thinks dhe is lovely and im like the devil mother...who cnt see it
I honestly feel sick to my stomach about what to do
in a wierd way writing is helping so even though i sound silly ill post this
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Very Food Agressive

You need to teach her bite inhibition and fast. If you don't, this will not be the last time she'll break a human's skin because she won't know any better and you do NOT want a dog with a bite record.

How to STOP Puppy Biting

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Cloudcandy

I have been trying to do the clenched fist and offer of toy in other hand which almost is working?
How long do puppys take to make it through the night?I feel the situation would be 80%easier if mynights were calm and relaxed
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Very Food Agressive

It took my dog until she was nearly a year old to make it longer than 6 am in the morning. You either need to start getting her off food earlier in the evening so she'll be empty before going to bed or getting her really tired during the day to have a sleepy puppy at night.

Not sure what you mean by clenched fist but a small breed puppy like that probably could have used an extra week or two with its littermates so you'll have to teach it not to bite the same way they do, by letting your puppy know that biting hurts. You can do this by yelping (NOT yelling) when you get bitten and refusing to play with the puppy (don't even look at it) for a while so they get the idea that biting is not ok.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.

Last edited by Izzy's Valkyrie; 05-31-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm All Ears

Awww bless you! I promise it gets easier. You just need to look at every little situation as a learning experience for the puppy. It will get better.

I love raising puppies and have had quite a few but my last one had me in tears a few times. But if you put in all the time you'll have a wonderful dog.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Smudge was easy going as a puppy, and had a preference to go on grass when he arrived at 14 weeks. That said he was 8-9 months old before he quit waking me up at 5-7am regardless of what time we went out to pee last and what time we went to bed.

Getting up in the night is part of having a puppy. It gets easier, but it's part of why not everyone wants to deal with the puppy stage and gets older dogs.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground