Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Cloudcandy

Thanks everyone.
@sailenero I will try and calm down!Its part of my personality to get ridiciously worked up lol,I suffer from panic attacks too so I pretty crap at it.
@dekka yes its my first puppy I've lived with a dog before and loved it,so I know what I'm working towards I guess i wasn't prepared for her to be so needy.i think she was crate trained,she came from a litter of 7 and they all shared a pen area with sleeping and pee pads and toys etc.I've pretty much recreated that...right now she's sleeping...so I've had a chance to think
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Cloudcandy

My replies still dont post...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

We had these breakdowns several times after getting Tucker, puppies are awful, I have no desire to ever have one again. But they grow up. Keep him on leash if he's getting into trouble. Get a crate and put him in it if you find yourself loosing your cool with him.

Tell us more about his behavior so we can help you solve some of the problems you're having.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Okay...deep breaths... You will be just fine You did all the research and have the books. You came here to find advice. You are wanting to take good care of that baby.

I agree a schedule will be the best thing for both of you.

If you are having serious trouble with any of the puppies behaviors post and you will find lots of help here.

You are not alone...

Any better?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Cloudcandy

All this help is great,I did post about.the.issues im having butits not working
Ill try im the morning....rightnow.shes sound asleep so i need too aswwll!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
swimming upstream

Not sure why her posts aren't coming through to the forum (must be part of the spam filter right now)---here is her response:

Thanks everyone.
@sailenero I will try and calm down!Its part of my personality to get ridiciously worked up lol,I suffer from panic attacks too so I pretty crap at it.
@dekka yes its my first puppy I've lived with a dog before and loved it,so I know what I'm working towards I guess i wasn't prepared for her to be so needy.i think she was crate trained,she came from a litter of 7 and they all shared a pen area with sleeping and pee pads and toys etc.I've pretty much recreated that...right now she's sleeping...so I've had a chance to think

and this:
My main concerns are:
the fact she has not ate or drank as much as i would have thought
the fact i feel sick and not hungry and feel like ive gone a bit coo coo!
the fact I am worried that I will not be able to look after her correctly and that im doing it wrong
the fact i keep crying like a crazy person
Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

You're doing just fine it sounds like to me. Puppies can be challenging...some stages more so than others. I'd take her out to pee every hour if possible instead of every 3 hours. Chihuhauas have incredibly small bladders. Plus it give you more chances to reinforce her with a treat/praise if she goes every time. The more the better. If she gets a little practice being left alone in her crate....gradually increasing the duration and starting with you near by and gradually leaving her more alone, she'll get onto it. It's good to work on getting her use to that right away. As far as the drinking and eating, she's a tiny dog and they just don't eat or drink as much as bigger dogs. Can you estimate just how much she's drinking and eating? Can you measure out certain amounts and monitor? That way, if it really is too little, you can ask the vet but you'll have more information to provide. Remember to feed her small amounts about 4 times a day for now. Chances are, she's just fine and you're worrying, which is natural when this is your first pup. Lots of supervision when she's loose in the flat will prevent her from getting into no no's. lol. When you can't watch her, pop her in the crate. And most of all, relax and enjoy the adorableness of your new puppy. That's what they're here for. lol. Letting yourself get worked up too much can stress her out too, so try and focus on the positive things and I'm sure everything will be fine. You have a great forum here to come to for support. You have a vet, I presume if you need a medical question answered. It sounds like you have a lot of family around. You'll be fine. Welcome to Chazhound, btw.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Just in case anyone is confused, I went in and "approved" cloudcandy's posts, so they are now showing up as well as bax's reposting
Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 PM
:( only one :(

It's a big change in you life, it's natural to feel overwhelmed. Sound like you've done everything right in preparing yourself for her arrival. Thing will not always go right a their will be a few bumps in the road, or piddles on the floor. With time, as she adjusts to you and you to her you'll develop a wonderful bond.

She adorable, btw! Can't wait to see pictures of her growing up.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Very Food Agressive

You're probably so overwhelmed because you're not getting the sleep you're used to as well so keep that in mind. If you can get her to nap with you without making a mess while you sleep, maybe that will help you both bond and settle in to life together.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.