Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Obey the Toad.

Our vet had just assumed we were going to breed Jack since we had gotten him from a "bench lab" breeder. She was kind of surprised that we weren't.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

All I'm saying is that if I hear one more person say that Kiba needs his balls chopped off, I'm going to SCREAM. ROFL

Although, in all fairness, the vets aren't the ones telling me that, it is the techs/people who think they should be techs.

He doesn't mark indoors. He doesn't hump. His physical condition is great. He's getting training under his belt and it is doing loads for his manners. He's not dog aggressive/reactive and his attentiveness is great. I don't let him run loose, I won't ever plan on having him around any intact bitches, and I don't plan on breeding him. LEAVE HIS BALLS ALONE. When he is adopted out he'll be neutered for safety's sake - until then, back off people!

*had to get that off my chest after being told three times today he needed to be neutered along being told the same thing countless times every time he comes up in conversation*

Omigosh, maybe this is just prep work for when I get my next dog (planning on it being male and leaving it intact), but it is about ready to drive me nuts! They tend to shut up and go away when I say, "I'm still paying off a vet bill and have cats I have to spueter next, so he's not high on my priority list at the moment", but JEEZ!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM
& the Muttly Crew

My last vet was really obnoxious about being intact. But in terms of medical expertise they were solid so I just put up with it. They were just lovely with the properly "fixed" Kim and Web.

We moved and I switched vets (old one being two states away)...new vet asked if we plan to spay, I said not any time soon, she asked if we were going to be showing, I said yes, she asked if we knew what to watch for in an intact bitch, I said yes, and we were good. Now she just asks how things are going and what we've been doing in terms of competition lol.

'course she's been showing/breeding her breed for about two decades so that helps I think.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 AM
petperson

If your vet is being obnoxious about the s/n thing, why not just tell him? In a pleasant fashion, of course, but simply let him know that you do not like being badgered about it.

Btw, while I personally am still a big fan of speutering, I've come to appreciate the benefits of waiting until maturity to do so. Education, I haz it!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 AM
overdogged

I have to say, every time at work when I hear someone preach altering at six months to Rottweiler people "so that they don't get cancer", a little part of me dies.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
If your vet is being obnoxious about the s/n thing, why not just tell him? In a pleasant fashion, of course, but simply let him know that you do not like being badgered about it.
Her, and in my case I did. She just couldn't stomach the idea. It was most just little side comments throughout which I found distracting as I actually, you know, listen to the vet and want their input on real issues.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 AM
orange iguanas.

I don't mind well-behaved unaltered males... which to be honest, is a rare sight... but every time a pyometra case comes in, it irks me that they couldn't just get their dog spayed.

All my pets have been fixed by 6 months old so I have no clue if the vet would have been pushy or not. My aunt goes to the vet we used to go to, and I don't think they gave her any trouble when she said she wanted to wait to get her dogs spayed.

I know that, for example, when people decline vaccinations or whatnot, we will give them the reasons why we recommend it... and I suppose if you are opinionated or have knowledge in the subject, that might come across as being pushy. But we're just trying to educate because a lot of people just don't know the pros and cons to each option.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I know that, for example, when people decline vaccinations or whatnot, we will give them the reasons why we recommend it... and I suppose if you are opinionated or have knowledge in the subject, that might come across as being pushy. But we're just trying to educate because a lot of people just don't know the pros and cons to each option.
I agree with you on that one.

I think we are a rare breed. Most people are not willing to do the research in over vaccinating or know there is such think as a titer test. Which I plan on doing.

I also plan on waiting until my next dog which is going to be a male is going to be fully mature before I chop his balls off and if I can I might just leave them.

But I can see why vets push desexing and vaccinating because most of the populating is not educated on the issue and there are alot of irresponsible people out there. So its just much easier to get people to chop off the goods when they are six months old. And I am sure that vets see that more often than us responsible dog owners who do our reseach and know the pros and cons.

But I think if a vet pushes me to s/neauter after I explained to them why I am waiting. I will be finding another vet and possible be going to a holistic vet.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Our vet really pushed us to breed Kenai and when we got him neautered the vet said, "What a shame, he would have made beautiful puppies".