Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Big Dog

My vet hasn't asked me one way or the other. Maybe she talsk to her Joe Blow clients about spaying and neutering, but she knows I'm a breeder (and she knows she's gotten money from me in the past from puppy exams, c-section, x-rays, heath certifications, etc etc, and knows that will stop if my dogs are altered). I think though, that she'd be a bit of a hypocrite if she really pushed spaying/neutering. She bred her little mixed breed dog a few times, and she bred her IWS to a standard poodle twice now.
Any of my vets I don't go to regularily have never even asked me if my dogs are unaltered (other than the oens I go to for repro stuff obviously).
Around here (BC) I don't think it gets pushed one way or the other.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

My vet doesn't push either way. They asked us if we were going to breed Violet, or spay her. I thought it was kind of funny that there wasn't an inbetween option. I told her that we were going to spay her, and she said we should do it right away because it'd be easier on her, and because it'd be cheaper for us if we spay her before she hits 40lbs. At the time I didn't know about the risks involved, or that it was a good idea generally to wait until they're done growing, so I told her I wasn't sure, and I'd get back to her. I haven't spoken with her since, but when I tell her that I plan to wait until she's matureo to spay her, I don't think she'll try to push anything on me. They're pretty respectful.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
Usually the ball just drops, eventually :P
Depends where it is. If the testicle is abdominal and the inguinal ring is closed (by six months in most dogs), it's not coming down. If it's below the inguinal ring and just not in the scrotum, it may still come down.

Steve's wasn't coming down, period. When I had him neutered at 19 months, nobody could feel it.

We've done cryptorchid neuters on a couple older (>18 months) big dogs recently. Two GSDs and a Lab.

Um, and a surprise cryptorchid cat on Monday.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
They asked us if we were going to breed Violet, or spay her. I thought it was kind of funny that there wasn't an inbetween option.
I ran into that a lot with Steve, too, especially from people I work with. It was very well known that he was not going to be bred, so why on EARTH would I not cut his balls off immediately? After all, he didn't "need" them. Uh, I beg to disagree on that count. Testicles do do more than just make puppies after all.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm waiting until Cricket is around 2 or so to spay her and her vet has been a bit pushy about it saying there's no reason for me to wait to spay. Some of my friends have been kind of nasty about it as well because they are so used to early spay and don't know the benefits of waiting. I have no plans to breed Cricket at all. I would be scum of the earth if I did so in my opinion. She will not be bred, but there's no reason for me to have to spay her right now. Bamm is neutered so I don't have to risk him getting her pregnant and I know how to manage a female dog in heat to keep them from getting around desexed males. There's just no reason for me to absolutely HAVE to spay her right now. I'm going to be shopping hard for a vet when I get back to VA too... the vet I used to use out there (same vet that FOHA uses for the dogs/cats that Cristy posts all the time) charges WAYYYY too much and they're very pushy about s/n and very anti raw feeding. I'd like to feed raw again at some point so I want to find a vet that isn't going to give me a hard time about that as well.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm All Ears

My vets haven't been too pushy. They would ask at sometimes at their annuals if we wanted to schedule a spay or neuter. I think with Beau it was a little more because he was our first dog to take there. But once we explained he was showing it wasn't really brought up but a few times just mostly to ask if we wanted to schedule it while we were there. I think that's pretty routine.

But by now I think my vet knows we're responsible. I had Nard in for an annual a couple months ago and he didn't ask at all.

I have been asked by some of the other vets when I've had to go to a different place if we breed or were planning on breeding them. One of my past vets had a papillon and she was really wanting us to breed Beau.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I ran into that a lot with Steve, too, especially from people I work with. It was very well known that he was not going to be bred, so why on EARTH would I not cut his balls off immediately? After all, he didn't "need" them. Uh, I beg to disagree on that count. Testicles do do more than just make puppies after all.
Oh GOSH, I get alot from my SIL who will be starting school to become a vet tech soon.

Right now she works at a petstore but I constatly hear her complain about un neautered dogs coming in and that they should be chopped off ect ect..

Yet she does not complain about the females who are still intact. Emme is still intact and I never hear a peep out of the SIL.

It will be intesting when i get my male mastiff and hoping I can keep his balls as long as possible. I am sure I will never hear the end of it

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
puppies don't grow in the uterus on their own and I don't NEED to desex her.
Seriously? You just rocked my world. I guess I should go read my book on where puppies come from because I was sure that's how it worked

The vet I went to with Traveler asked once and I said not going to happen and I haven't been asked again even though I've seen three different vets from that clinic. Which I appreciate. Though, it does say in his file "Is not going to castrate" so that helps

I honestly don't think I would go back to a vet that kept pushing to breed or to alter.

I'm curious, with a retained testicle can they just go in and push it down into the scrotum instead of castrating? Or take the retained testicle out while leaving the one that dropped alone?

Seems like that would be a good option rather than just castrating

Quote:

YES. I honestly almost wish I wasn't planning on breeding Traveler because people go "Oh ok, that's why he's not fixed"

Yeah, no. He's not fixed because he isn't broken and they are there for more than decoration
Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I'm curious, with a retained testicle can they just go in and push it down into the scrotum instead of castrating?
Sometimes the cord is too short, which is why it never descended.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Depends where it is. If the testicle is abdominal and the inguinal ring is closed (by six months in most dogs), it's not coming down. If it's below the inguinal ring and just not in the scrotum, it may still come down.
Yeah, we made an appointment to investigate it again at 6.5 months, and that was when I made the decision to just neuter then instead of waiting. There was a decent chance it may have still dropped, but I went ahead with it anyway.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014