Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
woof!

Default Vets pushing to breed

I'm happy with my vet he is a nice person is a lot better that the ones who treated my previous dogs.

I remember the first time I took him there, the vet was surprised to see his color (red) and said he didn't knew poodles came in this color and that he is going to be highly desired as a stud because of his rare color.

However I took him yesterday since he got a small case of ear mites, after adding the medicine he asked how older Pompadour is wish I said 15 months and he asked if I wanted to breed him

But he is still a puppy and no testing yet I think someone of his clients asked for stud, beacause of what he told me in the first visit.

I remember when we had Oso (husky/GSD mix) a vet asked us if we wanted to add him in a "stud looks for girlfriend list"

Well I told my vet that "no breeding him now he still need to finish his career, and if he is bred it would be only to a show female and to compatible colors" and explained how all his family tree are reds and apricots no white dogs to prevent patches or fading.

I didn´t liked his comment, I'm not going to turn into a "rare color" BYB mostly when the mayority of the BYB and mill poodles here are mixed , but he did respected why I don't want to breed him .

Around here there´s the myth that you HAVE to breed your dog or cat when it gets to one year of age or it would die of cancer/ sadness/ get traumatized if you don't and vets insist on this.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Top Dog

Maybe it's different in other countries? Here in the states most of the ones I have been to/met really pushed altering. I am sure they are out there, just haven't come across one (also when I lived in the Netherlands). . . that's terrible.

I was even "fired" by a vet because she was so pro-rescue (going as far as to say she doesn't support "pedigrees"), s/n, she refused to see me
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

^^ I got a donation turned down by a rescue because I am a "breeder".

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Glutton for Crazy

sad
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Not a Border Collie

One of my vets here really pushes s/n. I think the first time we were there for Quinn's first shots she was asking us when we were planning to spay, and she's asked us every visit since. It's really irritating and she looks at us like we're going to let her have like 12 accidental litters if we chose to wait to spay, LOL.

Our other vet doesn't even mention it, but we've also known her for 25 years not just as a vet, but a friend and a barn owner. She might be different with new people. She's also bred in the past (Swedish Vallhunds), so that's probably part of it.

I can't say I've ever heard of a vet actually encouraging breeding though - it might be a region/country difference?

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
One of my vets here really pushes s/n. I think the first time we were there for Quinn's first shots she was asking us when we were planning to spay, and she's asked us every visit since. It's really irritating and she looks at us like we're going to let her have like 12 accidental litters if we chose to wait to spay, LOL.
Really? I am just curious cause we are in the same province, but how long have you been using that vet for?

I have *never* had my vet push s/n or push breeding to me. Although, that could be simply that I have used this vet for the last 14+ years, so she knows me more than most people's vets really know them, n a sense where she has really watched me grow up.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Just try me..

Many vets in Ontario do push s/n very hard. Just because yours doesn't shouldn't make it surprising when its come up on chaz before and Ontarians have mentioned their vets push s/n.

Luckily mine hasn't.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I was pushed from the time Smudge was 5 months old. Every visit no matter what it was for. So can we make that neuter appointment now. No I told you I show conformation. I need him intact. They'd reply with okay maybe next time. I was harassed about it in three different vets offices. They do push s/n hard in Ontario.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
I was pushed from the time Smudge was 5 months old. Every visit no matter what it was for. So can we make that neuter appointment now. No I told you I show conformation. I need him intact. They'd reply with okay maybe next time. I was harassed about it in three different vets offices. They do push s/n hard in Ontario.
Must be where I am. I deal with 5 different vet offices in the city, and none of them push s/n, and they all push waiting until the dog is grown to s/n. Generally if somebody goes in wondering about s/n but are not sure, they are sent home with information about the pros and cons of both sides, to make their decision. Also, as vet techs you are taught the pros and cons and are taught how to help the owner make an informed decision.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Just try me..

What vet tech program is that? So far anyone I know who has taken vet tech recently has been taught all the benefits of s/n and very little of the dangers.