Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-10-2004, 03:24 AM
Terrier Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Great info, Karen.

And of course, I think it's FASCINATING that she's sending folks to the NaturaPet site to use the comparison page; let's me know I've been on the right track.
Yeppers! It seems you know your tracks! There is a lot of talk about the new EVO kibble on the diet related lists... being very low carb etc. I think I might try the Pinnacle trout and sweet potato next, just because Lucy has "lived" on Lamb & Rice food for so long! But... since Catherine seems to really like the California Natural Lamb and Rice... will probably end up back on lamb & rice eventually!

Old 11-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Felurian

I'm thinking seriously of getting a bag of the Innova EVO along with my regular bag of Innova Puppy Chow and mixing the two. Shiva's 15 months old now and Kharma will be 10 months old the 19th, and being such large, muscular dogs I think their protein/carb ratio would serve their needs better if it were upped a bit at this point. Especially Shiva, as she's the only one of the three who will overeat if she can and tends to carry more fat. Kharma's lean, long and lanky right now and I'd like to support her muscular development. Bimmer's been eating the puppy chow all along (he's 4 years old!) mainly because you just can't keep Kharma out of his dish. She's the only one he will share food with, and aside from wanting to make sure she got the puppy food she needed, the extra calories didn't hurt Bimmer at all. We have a hard time keeping any weight at all on him because he's just so active. The little guy burns a lot more calories than either one of the big girls.

I don't know whether to laugh at Shiva or strangle her sometimes. I heard Kharma crying while I was in the shower yesterday, but I figured she was just whining because she couldn't see me since I didn't hear Shiva horsing around. Well, she had a reason to be crying, all right! I found Shiva, laying on the sofa very pleased with herself indeed. She'd carried the bag of dog food (with enough food in it for at least two more days for all of them) to the sofa and was laying there with her head in it, calmly finishing it off. I rescued enough to feed the other two that day . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Big Dog

Innova Evo is definitely the best kibble on the market - far closer to providing a more natural diet.

Nonetheless, if you don't mind me asking, why are your dogs still on puppy food?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Felurian

They're still growing and maturing. They'll (theoretically) be on at least some puppy food until they're about two years old. They also get a big bowl of calf milk replacer.

Even after they're off the Innova puppy I'll probably keep them on mainly the Innova adult. Filas have a very different dietary heritage than many other dogs. The Filas that survived to breed were the dogs that survived and grew strong on diets that were often very protein limited. They are a breed that has arisen out of extreme poverty on the fazendas in Minais Gerais, one of the most impoverished areas of Brazil.
A dog there may live its entire life eating mainly scavenged fruit and vegetables with only a rare chance at the scant remains of a carcass. Even well fed Filas will literally graze on grass! The Innova seems much closer to being an ideal balance for this kind of dog.

Bimmer's still eating it because 1) he lets Kharma eat out of his bowl; and 2) he can really use the extra calories.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Terrier Lover!

Quote:
I found Shiva, laying on the sofa very pleased with herself indeed. She'd carried the bag of dog food (with enough food in it for at least two more days for all of them) to the sofa and was laying there with her head in it, calmly finishing it off. I rescued enough to feed the other two that day . . .
LOL!! So one advantage to having little "peeps" who can't carry dog food bags! From what I've read most dogs are loving the new EVO, and hear they have much smaller compact "poop presents" too! With your BIG bunch I bet smaller would be much better!

Old 11-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Felurian

They're actually pretty small on the Innova puppy. They also go out in the pasture. (YEA!)

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Terrier Lover!

Quote:
They're actually pretty small on the Innova puppy. They also go out in the pasture. (YEA!)
Hmmm.... I'm definitely going to ask Santa for a pasture this year!