Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Hits the Mark

My Aussie is the best dog I have ever owned. If you check out his YouTube page, you can see him in action and I have a lot of Aussie info on there as well.(YouTube - ‪SailenAero***39;s Channel‬‏) I can answer any questions you have as well! My SO works at a raw feeding store and before then worked at PetCo so we are all dogs all the time LOL My best advice is to find a great breeder. I have names if you are interested. Just PM me!!

Rachel McWhirter
WetPaint Productions

Chek Out Aero's YouTube Page!

The Fetching Merle Blog

Add Me on DogDayzz! ID:Rachel #13971
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Hits the Mark

BTW Aero does not bark unless someone knocks on the door or he is commanded. He is not dog aggressive. He does not jump around all the time. He was the quickest dog I've ever potty trained. He is super smart and learns super quickly. He really listens when we are training. If an Aussie is bred correctly and socialized they are some of the smartest, funny, and most rewarding dog experience I've ever experienced. I won't own any other breed from now on because of my Aero! So, unless you own one you can't judge other peoples dogs really if they don't represent the breed well.

Rachel McWhirter
WetPaint Productions

Chek Out Aero's YouTube Page!

The Fetching Merle Blog

Add Me on DogDayzz! ID:Rachel #13971
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
The Monster.

I've had two Aussies, and together they seem to define the two polar opposite types of Aussies. One was calm with an amazing love me attitude, and my current one is more standoffish with strangers, energetic, and is just an all-around handful.

My last Aussie was a farm dog who we brought into the city. He was a great family dog who did a great job tolerating how uninformed my family was in raising him. As I said, he was calm and relaxed -- he rarely barked, and was content to lounge on a couch with us for most of the day. The breeder suggested we take him since he was the calmest/quietest of the litter, and it was an excellent suggestion.

After he died (of cancer, 12yrs), I got Cohen. She is from show lines, is incredibly energetic and handler-focused. There was a point where she was being walked 4-5 hours a day just so she was sane at home. Now she's relaxed, and requires a more reasonable ~2 hours of exercise a day. She's mildly dog reactive, and tends to resource guard if not handled properly. She's very barky, especially when excited. All in all, she's a difficult dog, and would be very challenging for a novice dog owner to handle. However, she's an amazing dog. She's the easiest trained dog I've ever met. She herds, she does obedience, rally, agility and tricks. Her eyes light up when I interact with her simply because she relishes my attention.

The way I sum it up is that, with enough time and attention, Aussies are the world's best dogs. But they require an owner who sees their dog as their hobby, and is willing to invest the time to make them wonderful.

Interestingly enough, my herding instructor mentioned that she was seeing more and more Aussies who were simply not handler-focused. I'm not sure if she was talking about working lines, or show (or both, even). She said she really liked Cohen since she was so tuned in to me, and so perceptive.

I was by an Aussie meet up a few weeks ago, and was surprised by how rude some of the Aussies there were. I was used to Cohen, who does not jump up or mob my treat pouch. I had honestly assumed all Aussies were well mannered and receptive to commands, but I was given a wake up call that day. They're lovely dogs, but they need your direction.

I agree with most of what has been said of Aussies above. I strongly feel that breeding is hugely important with them. Lately they've been gaining in popularity partly because of their merle colouring, and it's doing them no favours. If they're bred irresponsibly you end up with manic, loud nervebags. But even if you find a fantastic breeder, you're not guaranteed an easy dog by any means. In my mind, you should always plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 05-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

I'm late to the thread as usual. What to say about Cara? First of all she is not by any means an easy puppy and I wouldn't recommend her to average JQP. Most of this stems from the fact that she has energy, energy, energy and then some more to spare. The only thing I have found to tire her out is a solid amount of time sent with the flirtpole and training. Or going hiking for a few hours (stopping to play some fetch and training along the way) and then more training when we get home. If she doesn't get enough exercise she makes it quite clear and can make life miserable. That being said she is extremely handler oriented and extremely easy to train. She lights up during training, really she lights up with any interaction from me because I am like the center of her universe. She is VERY much a one person dog though, we had an issue when I went back to work because she did not like being left with Jonn even though he's been here before she was and even though he would play with her, walk her, etc. She is just very much my dog (for example if I'm at home and I ask him to take her out to pee, Cara will WAIT for me to give her the okay before she will go with him. As in every single time I have to say 'okay go with him and go pee'. If not she plants herself). Cara is a barky dog, sometimes I think she just likes to hear herself and she has no volume control but she's easily redirected most of the time. We did have a big heel nipping issue when she was younger, but consistently showing her that it wasn't acceptable nipped it in the butt soon enough. She is still mouthy when she's excited though, but is getting better by the day about being gentle and not mouthing overall. She can be a bit pushy with other dogs, but part of that I think is because Upendi let her get away with murder when she as a puppy and really still does.

Is she a challenge sometimes sure? But she has a spark that I can't quite describe and I wouldn't have her any other way. She is really my ideal dog.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet