Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

A standard poodle sounds like a good fit.

If you're open to a smaller dog, maybe a shetland sheepdog? My friend has a sheltie and his dog is very easy to train, loves to go on hikes and long walks, and is really attached to his owner. And he's definitely got fluff, haha. One thing to keep in mind though is that shelties tend to bark a lot.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

I think your best bet would be to get out and meet a lot of dogs from a lot of breeds. Dog shows are great for this, but so are agility and obedience trials. I tend to see more variety of breeds at agility, but that will depend on your location. Obedience here is just Golden Retrievers for miles. Most medium sized dogs from the sporting and herding groups are going to fit your energy and trainability requirements, but there's going to be some breeds that look great on paper but you just don't "click" with.

The AKC website has an event search: American Kennel Club - Event and Awards Search
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Active Pup

To me, you just basicaly described a Golden Retriever. Loyal, energetic, fluffy coat, somewhat large, easy to train etc. I honestly think that for anyone who's never owned a large breed dog before, a Golden is great place to start. (plus, they're eay to find)