Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Active Pup

Default Looking for a breed. Suggest one?

Hello everyone. I have come here in search of a purebred dog breed for myself. This is my first time in searching for a dog, so I don't know what to look for, or much about breeds.

I just lost both my dogs in 09'. I grew up with these dogs as my parents got them when I was 2 years old from a neighbor who was moving and didn't want them anymore. They were Toy Poodle x Shih Tzu mixes named Tulip & Miles. They were both 14 when they passed away, they were from the same litter and bought at a pet store by our old neighbors. They lived good long lives, but both needed our help in passing over due to medical problems and pain.

I find myself ready for a new dog. I would like a purebred dog this time though. Though, I don't even know where to start with so many! So I hope those here may help!

I would like to have a go at a larger breed dog. One who may be more interested in doing things then my two little ones had been. When I took Tulip & Miles on hikes or walks, they were slow and not interested and wanted to just stop and lay, but I would like a dog who would be making me have to keep up, haha. One that likes to go for long hikes and walks and bike rides. I plan to do agility with my new dog, as I've always wanted to, but again - Tulip & Miles weren't interested, so I didn't get a chance to unless my friend or family would let me borrow their dog for a day! Grooming & hair length isn't a problem...I don't want a smooth coat exactly, but one with some fluff to it! I would really like a loyal dog, who would (hopefully) enjoy my company. One who is willing to learn, and somewhat easy to train...also would like it to be a dog who enjoys learning things!

I hope you can help here! If there are some things I missed out that are important in looking for a breed, please bring it up or ask me about it and I will answer! I'm hoping I can get a nice list to look into to find myself a "perfect" breed!

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

how about a golden retriever?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

A golden sounds great, or a lab.

Poodles would also work, they are highly intelligent, and pretty active too. Most people think they are Froo froo dogs, but they really aren't
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Just try me..

If the only reason you don't want small is because you are worried they won't want to do things, you need to look at the right small dogs (and avoid the 'wrong' big dogs. There are large breeds that don't enjoy long hikes either)

Most retrievers would fit your 'wants' The best thing is to go out and meet dogs. Loads sound good to me on paper, but not in real life.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:00 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Golden Retriever was the first thought that popped into my head. Well bred Goldens are just amazing dogs.

I also second the Poodle idea. Standard Poodles are BIG dogs and would be a good fit, I think.

Or, if you wanted something more novel and not so large...Keeshond?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I would say check out if there are any dog shows in your area that you can get to. They usually have a meet the breed both at shows where you can talk to experience people about various breeds.

Also you will get to look at a lot of different breeds and talk to their owners and handlers.

Another good resource are books...they will give you some ideas of where to start.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

How seriously do you want to get into agility?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

A nice smooth or rough collie could suit your needs well, depending on the grooming you want to do. Their parent club has an excellent guide to the breed: Collie Club Of America: The Collie as a Family Dog

I also agree that size isn't that limiting as far as energy and trainability. Our corgi is a great size, has energy to spare and is super trainable. He is actually more go-go-go than most of my Belgians! Some recent photos of an outing with him: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alero...6.287557245498

And some clips of him at Flyball class - people are constantly surprised watching him in agility and flyball by his speed:YouTube - Flyball Beginer Class YABTC
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Top Dog

A brittany would be a good choice! I agree going to some dog shows would be a great idea.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Top Dog

A Toller could very likely fit your needs. :-)

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN