Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

What about a Bouvier from working lines?

They are pretty high drive, very handler orientated and forgiving. And smart like a whip. They get along great with children if properly socialized with them. They can handle alot of kids crawling on them.

The only draw back is that they can be DA and SSA. And of course the coat. You could have to brush it every day or two. Or just clip it short.

But I think a Cattle dog would be a great option. I dont think I have ever met one I did not like. They seem like hardy, amazing dogs.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Most of the Tollers I know are fairly hard and drivey. People around here call them BC on crack. Of course it would depend on what lines you got, but there are some very hard extremely drivey tollers out there.

I would put them in the same category as Kelpies for drive and sharpness.

Though you also have to watch for DR, many of the sharper tollers I know are fairly DR to strange dogs in their space.
That's weird. Tollers around here seem more like an Aussie drive-wise than a BC.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Just try me..

They are better at having off switches than many BCs. Their off switch is a breed bragging point lol. But when they are on, man are they ON!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Do any of you have a preference with the Toller breeders? There are so many in Ontario!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Just try me..

Not at this point. Years ago (before I got JRTs) we were on a waiting list for a toller. The best plan is to go to agility trials and talk to people and find out who has the 'BC on crack' types and where did they get them.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Not at this point. Years ago (before I got JRTs) we were on a waiting list for a toller. The best plan is to go to agility trials and talk to people and find out who has the 'BC on crack' types and where did they get them.
I love going to the national specialty shows, so you can really see the differences between the breeders' dogs. I'm trying to find out when they'll host one for NSDTRs or ACDs in Ontario

If I get a GSD, I'm 100% sure I'll get it from Kiefernwald.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
That's weird. Tollers around here seem more like an Aussie drive-wise than a BC.
I have not met any super high drive ones either. Actually I remember in the 90s quite a few agility people seemed to think Tollers were going to be the next big thing in dog sports. Now I rarely ever see them at trials around here, not that they were ever super popular. I know there are some excellent performance ones out there though. Even so, it's not a breed one should expect to excel in Schutzhund.

I found this "Reasons Not to Get A Toller" interesting. Several sound like reasons not to get a Belgian LOL Tollers: Top Ten Reasons NOT to Get a Toller I'd say the scream is something you should definitely experience before getting one...
Old 05-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Just try me..

Here they often out number BCs at agility trials. We also have very few aussies competing.

Just like there are many slow non drivey seeming JRTs out there, there are many (when you have loads) slow non drivey tollers. Its as much training as it is bloodlines.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Here they often out number BCs at agility trials. We also have very few aussies competing.

Just like there are many slow non drivey seeming JRTs out there, there are many (when you have loads) slow non drivey tollers. Its as much training as it is bloodlines.
Same with GSDs actually. I can't imagine seeing so many Tollers in agility that they outnumber BCs! Are there a lot of breeders in your area?

I have no doubt there are some very drivey Tollers and that some really excel in agility. But I don't think there are any which excel in Schutzhund.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Are there a lot of breeders in your area?
There are 10 in my area that I know of.
I'm going to a Schutzhund trial tomorrow, so I'll ask what the expects over there suggest. I bet you they'll say one of their pups (either American Bulldog or Rottweiler).

Take a look at this boy, isn't he a cutie? I love his markings!