Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Suggest a Breed?

I thought it would be fun to hear some of your breed suggestions for me.

-I've had 5 dogs in the past (a APBT x Lab, 2 GSDs, a Whippet & a Rott), and currently have 2 dogs (Basenji mix & Bullmastiff mix).
-I will be moving to house with a few acres, hopefully, sometime this summer (live in a duplex at the moment).
-Don't have kids of my own (thank God!) but have lots of little nieces and nephews that I must consider.
-An all round, high-drive dog able to compete in Agility and Schutzhund would be great!
-Size doesn't really matter, but I prefer medium- large dogs.
-Moderate- low maintenance coat would be preferred.
-Quick learner, but forgiving! I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes along the way, so a dog that can forgive my errors in training would be nice.

I absolutely love these breeds, but some aren't the greatest match for me.
-Beaucerons
-Kelpie
-Akbash
-Black Russian Terrier
-Dogo Argentino

Any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post

Any suggestions?
Working line GSD? Seem to perfect fulfill your requirements. And IME they are a much better bet for Schutzhund and agility than most, if not all of the breeds you mention.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Just try me..

How about getting a really fiesty little terrier

I think a working line GSD could be good.

What about a Mal?

I don't think an akbash would be very good at agility. But also you don't say how into agility you are. Are you wanting to go play at regionals and nationals? Or are you happy pottering around a course and having a party regardless of the Q?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Doberman? Same-sex aggression might be an issue with your other dogs, but maybe not. They aren't super-drivey, either.

GSD sounds like a good choice, too. Or a smooth collie!

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Working line GSD? Seem to perfect fulfill your requirements. And IME they are a much better bet for Schutzhund and agility than most, if not all of the breeds you mention.
My GSDs were from working lines. I have to agree, they're a great fit! But I really would like to get that a dog that you don't see everyday, you know? There are so many crappy GSDs from BYBs, and I absolutely hated it when people would even dare to compare them to my boys. I guess the way I put it makes me sound like a really snobby-proud person. :/ I just prefer to be unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
How about getting a really fiesty little terrier

I think a working line GSD could be good.

What about a Mal?

I don't think an akbash would be very good at agility. But also you don't say how into agility you are. Are you wanting to go play at regionals and nationals? Or are you happy pottering around a course and having a party regardless of the Q?
Akbash doing agility! I can totally see it~ a big white dog laying down in the ring watching over the obstacles! Again, I love them but they aren't a good match. Maybe if I get a lamb or something, I'll have an excuse to get an Akbash.

I've already been to the regionals with one of my GSD's. Defiantly would like to get a dog that will bring me to the nationals. My Basenji x is still a novice in agility, but he's promising little guy!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Doberman? Same-sex aggression might be an issue with your other dogs, but maybe not. They aren't super-drivey, either.

GSD sounds like a good choice, too. Or a smooth collie!
Smooth Collie <3 That's it! There's one at my local shelter right now hehe.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
I absolutely hated it when people would even dare to compare them to my boys. I guess the way I put it makes me sound like a really snobby-proud person. :/ I just prefer to be unique.
Just a fair warning, you'll get that no matter what breed you have rare or not. Traveler gets compared to ACD's, Aussies and so on all the time and it drives me nuts.

I have a girl I work with that constantly compares Traveler to her long haired, drop eared, dark tri colored merle, BYB nervy and aggressive Aussie and how much alike Trav and it are. Yeah no.

You'll get a million people that will ask you what breed you have and then act like you're either lying, made up a breed, don't know what you're talking about or like they totally knew that even though they had never heard the breed. Then you'll get to hear about how their brothers sister's cousin has a dog that looks just like what you have and must be it or that they have the same breed.

Or you'll get the people that come up and tell you what your dog is or insist it's a mutt.

You'll get to the point where you want to just have it printed up on a shirt or a flyer to hand out.

So pretty much what I'm saying is know you'll get driven just as nuts if not more so with a rare breed as you would with a more common one
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
:( only one :(

A brittany?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
You'll get a million people that will ask you what breed you have and then act like you're either lying, made up a breed, don't know what you're talking about or like they totally knew that even though they had never heard the breed. Then you'll get to hear about how their brothers sister's cousin has a dog that looks just like what you have and must be it or that they have the same breed.

Or you'll get the people that come up and tell you what your dog is or insist it's a mutt.

You'll get to the point where you want to just have it printed up on a shirt or a flyer to hand out.
I had someone tell me the other day that Watson (my basenji) was some sort of terrier
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
I thought it would be fun to hear some of your breed suggestions for me.

-I've had 5 dogs in the past (a APBT x Lab, 2 GSDs, a Whippet & a Rott), and currently have 2 dogs (Basenji mix & Bullmastiff mix).
-I will be moving to house with a few acres, hopefully, sometime this summer (live in a duplex at the moment).
-Don't have kids of my own (thank God!) but have lots of little nieces and nephews that I must consider.
-An all round, high-drive dog able to compete in Agility and Schutzhund would be great!
-Size doesn't really matter, but I prefer medium- large dogs.
-Moderate- low maintenance coat would be preferred.
-Quick learner, but forgiving! I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes along the way, so a dog that can forgive my errors in training would be nice.

I absolutely love these breeds, but some aren't the greatest match for me.
-Beaucerons
-Kelpie
-Akbash
-Black Russian Terrier
-Dogo Argentino

Any suggestions?
Here's a thought - Get a working line lab. They are consistently friendlier with children than more reactive breeds. Usually get along swimmingly with anyone in your house and can compete in schutzhund sport trials just fine (they do here anyways.) They are also far more forgiving than a working line GSD or a mal and it's pretty easy to select your perfect puppy. There are no lack of labs in this world to select from.