Puppy chews on leash

When I take Adrienne for walks or out to do her thing she wants to chew on her leash other then what she's been taken out to do. My friend tells me this is a bad thing and that I should make her stop but I dont know how to. Any suggestions?

candy722

She's probably a puppy. She will learn. They all learn. Just make sure you tell her and teach her not to do that. She will stop.

Doberluv

Teach her the "leave it" command. Practice with things lying out in your yard which entice her and keep walking when she shows an interest to get at them, saying, "leave it." You can use this for so many things. I wouldn't make too big of an issue over the leash playing though. She's a pup and as it was said, she'll get over it. It shows she likes her leash and that's a good thing. Just reward her when she "leaves it" and get her interested in something else. My 2 yr. old Dobe plays with his leash sometimes and I actually encourage it because he's so cute, shaking and flopping his paws all over the place. Then I tell him, "enough....leave it." And he gets back onto the business at hand. LOL. Let your pup be a pup...don't take things too seriously and meanwhile, teaching other things will start to fill up his brain and he'll leave childish things behind. LOL.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have read putting something they don't like the taste of on the lead deters them from doing it.

They learn because it is an unpleasant experience. Causes them no pain and no psycho damage!! Apparently citronella is good, and totally natural.

In case nothing else works!!

filarotten

Fila the love
Brutus still does it occasionally if I am walking him in the yard. But when he is in public he walks like a perfect gentleman. He's such a show-off.

Members online

No members online now.