Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Ibizan Hound...

I really want one. I've been in love with this breed for quite a few years now, but now I seriously can't stop thinking about them. I might not be able to get one until after Bamm crosses the bridge (hopefully NOT anytime soon because he's my baby boy), but I figured it couldn't hurt to swoon and imagine myself owning one at some point.

Our next dog is going to be Josh's so we'll end up getting whatever he wants. That wont be until we're living in VA though and settled down a bit. He's been debating on whether he wants a puppy or whether he wants to rescue a young adult. I'm not exactly sure what he is leaning more towards, but I know the thought of getting a hunting dog has crossed his mind.

But... EVENTUALLY I do want an Ibizan hound. They're just so amazing. I plan to get one from a breeder though so I've been browsing around at some breeders just to get an idea. How soon is ok to start contacting breeders though? It might not be for another 5 or more years if I end up waiting until after Bamm is gone, but I've heard that there are waiting lists for a lot of Ibizan breeders and I want to develop some sort of relationship with the breeder I end up getting a pup from and meet their dogs, etc.

Those of you who have had experience around beezers... what was your likes and dislikes about the breed? I'm researching a little bit right now about lure coursing since I've never seen one live and don't much about the sport. I know that Ibizans tend to excel at lure coursing though so I'm looking into it as well for the future. I'm checking to see if there are any lure coursing events in my area that I can go watch for fun and if there are any other events around here where I might be able to meet up with some Ibizans since I have only ever met one in my entire life.

Guys I'm seriously swooning...
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm All Ears

I love them and wanted them for years and years. I think they're the prettiest breed in the world. Realistically they're just not the right fit though. They're clownish and very very athletic. they can JUMP high over most normal fences. They're not as aloof (imo) as most sight hounds but they're definitely a bit different and independent. Prey drive of course being sight hounds.

That said, I have a friend that just had a beezer litter. If you wanted I could definitely put you in touch! I'm not sure what she does with her dogs other than show but she'd be a good resource.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Here's Sar's site: Abbaio Ibizan Hounds

She's super nice and young and fun. I've known her for years.

ETA: Now I'm drooling over beezers again.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Ya the biggest thing is the fence issue. When we have our own place we're going to build an 8 foot high fence though. From what I've read they can generally easily jump 5-6 feet at a stand still which is completely insane. lol.

Just checked out your friend's website and first off her website is beautiful. Her female, Klementine... OMGGGG *drool* and apparently she's the mom of the litter too. That stinks that I can't get one right now. According to her website she has two puppies from the March litter that are still available

If I contact her can I let her know that you referred me to her? I'd like to contact her just to get to know her better and since she obviously breeds Ibizans maybe I can learn some more about the breed from her. Also... she's apparently up in New Jersey? Once I move back up to VA, NJ is really not that far of a drive at all.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah definitely tell her you know me! (Just say Laur with the papillons and she should know. She knows Beau at least) Sarah's really cool. I think you'd like her.

And yes, I adore Klemmie. <333
Old 05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Lord Cynical

I've known quite a few Ibizans, actually was offered ownership on one a few years ago... their jumping abilities are the ONE thing holding me back though. Otherwise they're on my shortlist.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah definitely tell her you know me! (Just say Laur with the papillons and she should know. She knows Beau at least) Sarah's really cool. I think you'd like her.

And yes, I adore Klemmie. <333
Thanks. I'll totally let her know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I've known quite a few Ibizans, actually was offered ownership on one a few years ago... their jumping abilities are the ONE thing holding me back though. Otherwise they're on my shortlist.
Ya the jumping thing has really been the only major concern for me... but I figure if I want one bad enough then I have to find ways to make it work, which is why I told Josh that when we buy our own house I'd like our fence to be 8 feet high.

This video of an Ibizan jumping just blows my mind
YouTube - Ibizian Hound Super Dogs
Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

keep in mind jumping fences is a learned behavior. Sonic is 29.5" TTS and can jump into the bed of a full sized truck w/the tailgate up, but he won't jump a 4 ft fence. when hunting he goes through barbwire fences rather than over.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Top Dog

Keegan's breeder has a friend who breeds beezers... I got to cuddle a litter of 4-week-olds when I visited her. They were really cute, and the parents seemed like really nice dogs as well. They seemed to have that sighthound stoicism, but were a bit mischevous as well. Very independent.... too independent for me but nice dogs anyway.

Romy might know the name of the breeder if you're interested, you might want to send her a PM. The breeder's in WA state.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Most sighthounds and many larger athletic dogs have jumping abilities like what is shown in the video. The record high jumps are often won by sighthounds. But I have seen them sail over a 6' kennel run because they wanted to be with their person. Fence jumping only becomes an issue with any dog because they are allowed to find it reinforcing. I know Ibizans are known for being fence jumpers specifically but I think there are things you could do to prevent them from ever strating. I would probably consider training them to an IF set inside the regular fence as an additional barrier from a fairly young age.

I really love the look of Ibizans but I'm under the impression they are a more primitive sighthound, more like the Pharaoh Hound then a Greyhound or Whippet. I could be wrong though, as I haven't ever spent much time around one. I have spent time around Pharaoh Hounds and know that while they are super cool dogs, they are just too primitive for me.