Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I don't think that is unreasonable Noly. Its an arctic breed. If the OP can't look after the dog then no they shouldn't get one. If things have changed and now the dog can come into a cool house, then sure.
Yep. The only reason my mom has a saint in FL is because some idiot brought one down mom found out that they were going to dump it and brought her home to protect her. Never found a suitable home so we kept her. But NEVER again. Even inside during the summer she is miserable because she cant get out much at all. Its just TOOOOOOO hot.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm probably going to be flamed for being harsh, but I think you need to hear it.

If you live in a subtropical climate and you can only have outside dogs, a husky is not the breed for you. Don't get another one, it would just be the same situation all over again, except this time your heart might win out, and instead of being fair to the dog and re-homing it to a suitable owner, you might keep the husky in awful living conditions.
That's not harsh at all that's totally realistic.

I live in Canada. I wouldn't get a whippet and expect it to live outside.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I do believe the OP is a younger person, who has been living with their parents, and plans on eventually living on their own and keeping their dogs inside.

I think seeing about fostering, or fostering-to-adopt, a husky, when the time comes when you believe you're in a situation capable of owning one, would be a great idea.

I also wanted to say, I'm not sure how long you had Lucy, but if she was only a few months old when you rehomed her, her personality, traits, and requirements were probably not at all what they would be in an adult husky, and like Lauren said, even then, traits within a breed can vary greatly as well.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
I'm probably going to be flamed for being harsh, but I think you need to hear it.

If you live in a subtropical climate and you can only have outside dogs, a husky is not the breed for you. Don't get another one, it would just be the same situation all over again, except this time your heart might win out, and instead of being fair to the dog and re-homing it to a suitable owner, you might keep the husky in awful living conditions.
But I'm not shooting for another outside dog, my next dog, whether husky or not, will definitely be inside with me.

Now, what in a husky or what did I love about Lucy?

The number 1 thing was affection. I loved that dog and I felt she loved me and she showed it. She loved everyone. She'd lick you in the mouth face and she loved to play. Other things include: her beauty, how easy she was to train, and overall I really liked Lucy as a dog. Now, there are some things I didn't like, but they didn't outweigh the positives. She would jump up on people no matter what and was hard to leash train. However, I feel like if I knew better, I could have managed those things better.

This is what I look for in a dog:

Size: Medium to large
Ease to train: medium to easy
Living requirements: Can live in apartment or house
Fur: Not too thick like a chow chow
Looks: Decent, doesn't have to look pretty on the same level as a pom
Temperament: doesn't have to get along with cats, but dogs maybe
Versatility: Prefer it, but doesn't have to be able to do therapy and drug sniffing

I know a lot of dogs fit that, but what I was saying was I really liked the kind of dog Lucy was. But like you guys said, she wasn't old enough to where her breed traits come out. Someone had already told me that and I had forgot.

Either way, I have plenty of time to pick my next breed. Won't be getting a dog for a long time.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Size: Medium to large
ok they are that

Quote:
Ease to train: medium to easy
Huskys are by far NOT easy to train. They list among the most difficult of breeds to train.

Quote:
Living requirements: Can live in apartment or house
Not too many of them are going to be ok apt dogs.
Quote:
Fur: Not too thick like a chow chow
Their fur is very very dense, they are an arctic breed. They can stay warm at -40 if they are acclimatized to it.

Quote:
Looks: Decent, doesn't have to look pretty on the same level as a pom
Thats subjective. I personally don't find poms pretty.. what you find decent is all in your preferences.

Quote:
Temperament: doesn't have to get along with cats, but dogs maybe
you are good there.

Quote:
Versatility: Prefer it, but doesn't have to be able to do therapy and drug sniffing
Versatility.. does this mean you might want to do dog sports? If so stay far away from a husky. They are not known for their ease of training.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm All Ears

How about things like energy level? How much exercise are you willing to do? Does the dog ever need to be off leash? Shedding bother you? Looking at any specific sports or do you just want a pet?

etc
Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I'd say coat alone, your requirements do not equal a sibe.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Bored Now.

Huskies are also not typically a friendly breed. They are more aloof in general. They like their people, but her temperament was unusual in that she loved everyone.

Why don't you get an adult rescue Lab or Golden? Sounds like they'd fit the bill perfectly, down to super friendly and easy to train.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Huskies are also not typically a friendly breed. They are more aloof in general. They like their people, but her temperament was unusual in that she loved everyone.

Why don't you get an adult rescue Lab or Golden? Sounds like they'd fit the bill perfectly, down to super friendly and easy to train.
A Lab or a Golden sound perfect for you. Super friendly, easy to train, good looking, good with dogs and cats, can live in apartments with a bit of effort, and very very versatile.

And there's always labs and goldens (and mixes thereof) in rescues.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Wild At Heart

What Nolu and Allie said. There are always plenty of Labs, Goldens or mixes in shelters/rescues/etc.

Harleigh is a rescue Lab and she's awesome (& pretty good lookin' if I do say so myself, lol)

Harleigh <3