Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Active Pup

Unhappy My dog bit someone! Help!

I'm so scared of losing her--not now, but in the future.

I have an 8 year old black lab mix. She was rescued when she was 2 after being a stray. Jesse's never been very friendly or affectionate with strangers. With us, she isn't a licker, but has always been nothing but friendly with me and my boyfriend.

When she was younger, she always aggressively went after cats, squirrels, noisy cars, barking dogs, and little dogs. She would get into a frenzy and lunge, spin, and pull. Now that she's older, she's not as aggressive when it comes to chasing them, but she still lunges, snaps, and spins briefly.

She does this occassionally with people, too. Jesse looks like a black lab, her tail is always up and wagging, and she looks very friendly. As such, people always try to come up to her and pet her, even if I hold her back and tell people she's not friendly, they keep approaching. The reason why I tell people that she's not friendly is that she has occcasionally lunged and snapped at people who walk towards her, even if they are a dog person who knows to approach slowly, crouch down, put their hand out for her to sniff, she still snaps at them. Not all the time, but I'd say 40%. But it seems that as she gets older, I'd change that number closer to 80%.

Long story short, the other day I had a young woman come up to try to pet Jesse, even though I told her not to because Jesse wasn't always friendly. The woman kept coming and said she loved dogs and they loved her. I tried to hold Jesse back, but she lunged forward and bit the woman's thigh. It wasn't a bad bite, but Jesse tore her jeans and left a scratch on her skin. The woman wasn't upset and just walked away, still baby-talking to my Jesse!

Thank goodness the woman was understanding, but I know that if it was anyone else, Jesse may have been taken away from me! From now on, I'm telling people hands-down that Jesse is NOT friendly at all and do not approach.

But I don't understand--why is she like this and why is it getting worse and worse??

I don't want to lose my baby.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
GSDMom

that is very scary, you could of been slapped with a HUGE lawsuit
what if Jesse had bit a child? I know you are feeling terrible about this but OMG
you have to do something about your agressive dog ASAP. contact a training facility that deals in aggressive dog behavior - get some help before it is too late!

Bon
Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Active Pup

Oh god, I know! But I'm more worried about her being taken away and put down rather than a lawsuit.

It's so strange. I have a VERY friendly American Staffordshire Terrier that no one approaches because they think she's dangerous, but everyone always tries to pet Jesse.

I always thought that as she got older and grayer that she'd calm down, but it doesn't look that way...
Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Ol'Dogger

Use common sense. This is an older abused in the past dog. She has her reasons for acting the way she does toward strangers or she could be protecting you! So you know she does this and you say she is not warm and fuzzy so why subject her or people outside her family to her. Then it could be fear making her do it there is no way to know without going to a qualified behaviorist. I would do some training on her but untill then keep her away from the public or put a muzzle on her when you have take her out. Just like the lady she nipped people are STUPID "dogs loves me" right!! Don't put your dog at risk or anyone else, it is not your dogs fault.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

I would only let her out with a muzzle, for one. You were lucky.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:23 PM
user not active

You told the woman to stop, the women didnt. I see no fault in it.

If I told someone to stop and not come any closer, and they still charged me, I would portray it as self defense. In FL I can even use deadly force now
Old 10-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Imagination ROCKS.

Yeah. Muzzle Jesse. It's for the best. She can still growl and show you that she does not want to be touched, but she can't hurt anyone with the muzzle on.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:28 PM
no touchy

It was dumb of her to keep coming forward when you told her not to, so I think it's partially her fault. But enrolling your dog in training classes and buying a strong muzzle is a good idea.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the input, everybody. Jesse's unpredictable. I know that. Sometimes she's friendly, sometimes she's not. More and more, she's not. I guess part of me, just in wishful thinking, hopes that maybe, just maybe, this time she'll react differently, but I know how lucky I just was and I'm NEVER going to take that chance again. From now on, to everybody "She's not friendly. She WILL bite you."

However, is this behavior something that can be modified? Or is this just her personality and something I can't change?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Rusty but Trusty

well it may or may not be able to be somewhat corrected. You allowed her to go so long without teaching her no it's not right to growl and bark at people so she may not be able to learn a new way. I'm not being mean to you because lots of people do this. I made the mistake of letting my 8 month old lab jump up to greet everybody and now I can barely take her out in public without her jumping at everyone. So I would try contacting a trainer who deals with aggressive dogs and asking them but until then muzzle her when she is outside to prevent her biting someone else and getting taken away.