Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I met quite a few CAO's and while they were nice dogs when their owner was there to tell them I was acceptable (er, invited? I guess...) I wouldn't even think about breaking into her house or threatening her, because I have no doubt the dogs would have stopped me.

I would like one in the far future, but like you, I plan on having some acreage and keeping horses and livestock, not living in the suburbs with one.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

which country is he located in? you don't really have a dog culture in any islamic country (although it is developing in Iran) so you don't have widespread ownership of dogs even from the neighboring country let alone 3 or 4 countries away. there are native LGDs in Iraq that are not as big (70-90#), they are absolutely ferocious & would meet the trucks 400-500 yds from the flocks. i had to get rubber rounds to back them off. the sheperds appreciated it because other units had just shot them and they need them to keep predators out of their sheep.
in afghan they have a large ovtchartka type called a sage kooche supposed to be pretty ferocious as well.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Are you dead yet?

This thread makes me miss Oriondw! His Caucasian was such a cool looking dog.

They are among my favorite LGD breeds. I really admire the breed for their intensity, but they would do poorly here in the heat.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
which country is he located in? you don't really have a dog culture in any islamic country (although it is developing in Iran) so you don't have widespread ownership of dogs even from the neighboring country let alone 3 or 4 countries away. there are native LGDs in Iraq that are not as big (70-90#), they are absolutely ferocious & would meet the trucks 400-500 yds from the flocks. i had to get rubber rounds to back them off. the sheperds appreciated it because other units had just shot them and they need them to keep predators out of their sheep.
in afghan they have a large ovtchartka type called a sage kooche supposed to be pretty ferocious as well.
He is in Afghanistan. I'm going to try to steal one of his pictures. He has a video of an adult dog that looks just like the puppy and it is on top of a roof barking at the troops going by. There is a kid there shoveling stuff, and the kid goes over and tries to push the dog off of the roof with the shovel, and the dog attacks the shovel and yanks it off of the kid. My husband thought that was hilarious, and the dog was ENORMOUS.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Pictures!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Second pic = so cute!!! It would be cool if your husband brought him back
Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Cute! But if I'm not mistaken that looks like a central asian shepherd, not an ovtcharka.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
This thread makes me miss Oriondw! His Caucasian was such a cool looking dog.

They are among my favorite LGD breeds. I really admire the breed for their intensity, but they would do poorly here in the heat.
Same here

I totally fell for the breed and if I lived someplace cold could see having one -- would never replace having Filas though, even though they are very similar in temperament and intelligence.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

ETA the big one in the first picture and the small guy in the second picture are not the same dogs. They think that they are related, though.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Cute! But if I'm not mistaken that looks like a central asian shepherd, not an ovtcharka.
Interesting. I think you're right.